Active Topics

I am work on a new project in which I want to control the media on a N800 tablet with a N810 or another N800.
I would need to be able to see all the media mostly audio files on the N800 and tell that N800 to play them under remote control from the N810.
I do not need to be able to play them on the N810 just control the way the N800 plays them,

I would need to be able to select the songs, the Play modes, Playlists, stop, pause and next track forward and back.

On the N810 there will be just a screen with a control panel and the list of songs.

It would be nice if the n800 could still be controlled locally.

If any one have any idea how this can be done please reply.

Thanks
craves1

Sounds exactly like a job for mpd. For control, use any of Sonata (python/gtk+ client), mmpc(?C?/gtk+ client), or mpc (scriptable CLI client), all natively, or some others via Debian chroot. As the existing clients have a playback-control emphasis (suited to the N810 end), it might be worth coming up with a display-only client for "normal" use on the N800, and start one of the aforementioned ones when local playback control is desired.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Im looking for something that is simple enough for the average user to setup with a GUI on the N810 (the controlling tablet)

I will look into all you suggested but this is new to me.

Thanks

Would VNC work?

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
mpd's are generally really easy to set up
I use pitchfork for an online interface, and it works well

The Following User Says Thank You to CleverJake For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by steelmaverick View Post
Would VNC work?
Thanks
A search of VNC lead me to other things like x11VNC and a few others that lead me to believe that I will be able to do what I want.

I am trying to make a whole house audio system from the now cheaper N800. This would be in a cabinet with a large drive and other electronics. Then I would be able to control it from the N810. If I have to then I will go to a PC but I have like many others a extra N800. Those who purchased N810 but now do not know what to do with the N800. I would like to do something with it that is exciting and useful.

I do not want or need mouse contol. I just want a simple menu of music and the ability to control it from the remote tablet.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I'm about half way through developing my whole-house audio solution, but I just use the tablet (N800) as the remote control interface for it since using a small embedded PC was much more cost effective than another N800 when I started the project (even today the catch with the N800 is that the audio out is not great... it sounds okay, but if you hook it up to some decent speakers, it's just not that great in comparison to the average mid-range PC soundcard). The fact that the N800 can't double as wifi access point was also a sticking point.

Anyways, I'm not sure how far/in depth you're planning to go with it, but if you're looking to do more than just a single room setup, I would recommend looking into something more along the lines of having a single N800/machine/device somewhere that will hold your media and handle playback, and use something like PulseAudio to distribute it/share it to other devices. There was some talk a while ago of porting Pulse over to the N8x0's, and I understand that it's going to be included in the next OS anyways, so it depends on your timelines for the project. The main advantages to this approach are that you can then share synchronized playback across multiple areas/rooms, and you only need to have one location for all of your media.

If you're looking from a multi-tablet point of view you can theoretically do the one location for your media by sharing the USB drive/whatever over the wifi network but I think you'll find performance problems if you try to access it from more than just two or three devices at a time; also, no way to do proper synchronized playback (i.e. two N800's in two rooms beside each other both playing the same music in sync with each other). MPD is a much better road for this than VNC as VNC performance really is quite poor from a general "end user wants to be able to use the device without problems/lag/delays/etc".

Good luck though, look forward to hearing about it!

Thanks,
-Rob

jolouis

I have decided to use a mini PC that have no fan and a laptop style power supply and 1Tb hard drive. It seems that the N800 as the local touch controller will most likely be too much problem. Now I have to find a small touch interface that is narrow enough to fit in a audio rack.

Thanks again