Active Topics

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ England, UK
Since MSN updated the front-end of Hotmail this week my Nokia 810 no longer displays the Inbox once logged in! The screen just displays a blank page. All other sites still work OK and Hotmail still works fine on my Blackberry device. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Seems strange. My hotmail inbox (with new layout) displays the same as on any other (laptop/desktop) browser.
I assume you use the standard microb browser.
Are there more sites which cause problems ?
Do you use another user agent ?
Morepeople heving this problem ?

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
try to untick "fit to width" in the menus.. or in the zoom button menu.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I too have problems with their new layout. It works somehow, but you need to scroll around a lot. It was better before.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I read somewhere that they're playing nasty tricks when the user agent shows that is a linux machine trying to connect (it seems they're scared that linux is gaining a considerable market share in netbooks, so they're doing whatever they can to make them look bad).
I cannot tell if it is true or not (since I wouldn't touch hotmail or any other microsoft internet service with a ten foot pole), but you can try changing the user agent and see if it works.

I have not been able to get the new Hotmail interface to work either. Here's what I've done:

1. Set up free GMX web mail account at gmx.com

2. Configured GMX to collect Hotmail mail, placing it in the "Inbox", which it seems to do quite well.

3. Since GMX supports POP3 and IMAP, I configured ClawsMail to grab mail via POP, and delete from the server on receipt.

Now I get my Hotmail via POP3 and all is well.

just asking the question- is there any advantage to gmx over gmail?

i currently have my hotmail "forwarded" to my gmail

If you click the "Off" option under the "Options > Reading Pane settings," then the hotmail page will act as it did before that horrible switch, (meaning it will act like one large webpage instead of a small reading area inside a set of non-adjustable frames). This makes a big difference and I was thinking of giving up my hotmail account(s) before they made this change. Now it's back to (almost) normal viewing.

Also, there's the option of using hotmail mobile, which has no ads or graphics, (for now, anyway). The address is mobile.live.com to get there, but I haven't found a way to get into the mobile client in a reliable manner. Meaning: sometimes that address gives me the mobile device screen, while other times I get the regular client. I haven't been able to figure out what makes the difference, so I can't consistently or reliably go into the mobile device screen.

In any event, hopefully that first tip will return hotmail to usability for you.

Joe

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
May be the user agent settings can help. It depends on the user agent. Phone browsers issue a (nonchangeable) mobile user agent, while desktops (and the N810) issue a user agent for a full web site.
You can change the user agent by about:config and then search for 'useragent'.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Thanks for that info. For some reason, my browser hangs when I try it, but I'll try to find a work-around.

Hotmail mobile is easier to read and use on the n800, vs. the regular hotmail screen.

Joe.