Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run videos on the internet which use flash player?

Originally Posted by twynog View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run videos on the internet which use flash player?
Youtube: Works like a charm.
Other sites: Some work fine, others are a bit slow; but most work perfectly.
BBC iPlayer: Very slow (decoding needs a faster processor).

Edit: I find that it works better if I pause the video until it buffers completely and then play it.

HTH,
André

Last edited by convulted; 2008-11-17 at 10:58.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand it.

As far as I know it's not possible to install Flash player on the N810, so I was hoping there was an alternative which would play streaming video such as the BBC language courses.

If it is possible to install Flash Player (and I've tried) which version will work? There seem to be three linux alternatives.

Thanks

Twynog

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Flash is already installed on your tablet; it's part of OS2008.

Ah, that explains the previous replies!

The problem is that the stuff I want to access throws up an error message saying you have to install flash player to play it.

Is there a way round this?

twynog

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I think there are 2 possible causes for this:

First, try YouTube to see if flash works at all on your tablet. If YouTube doesn't work, re-enable the plugin.
If YouTube works, then the site you're trying to visit probably does some bad (read: unnecessary) version check. Like they're requiring you to have the latest version (which is not available on the N810) even though their content would as well work with older versions. I guess in this case there's not much you can do.

Thanks -

Youtube (as in Mytube) works fine. I think what you say about the BBC sites is right - they insist on the latest version.

Ah well

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
No, don't use Mytube. That uses Mplayer, not Flash!

Go to youtube.com and try it out.

I think the latest SSU brought it to the "real" version of flash 9 on the tablet.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

No, YouTube.com doesn't work for the same reason - it wants a later version of flash.

I've had a look to see if I can update the OS2008, but although the version listed on "about product" on the control panel is 2.2007.51-3, it seems automatic updates have been applied - it was last updated in September.

Any ideas?

While I have your attention - both you and benny1967 seem to be expert users - can you tell me if it is possible to increase the overall volume on the Media Player (not Mplayer; I've managed to do that)

Thanks again

twynog

Youtube works OK for everyone else, it sounds as though your flash player plugin has been turned off.
here are detailed instructions on how to fix it.
http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...ablet-web.html
from the excellent tablet school.