Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Hey, I know this is going to sound really nerdy but I was wondering if anyone had, or had created a dice simulator for the N800? The reason I ask is that I occasionally run D&D campaigns and it would be really handy to have a program on my n800 that I could simulate rolling multi sided die. I have found a few flash programs that I can use but I would love to have something by itself.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Or you could just sell your n800 and buy 350 pair of dice.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Open x term, then type
Code:
python
import random
random.randint(1,12)
Voila--12-sided die (assuming you have python installed). Now you just need a Dungeon Master's Guide, Kitty Pryde, and Nightcrawler too (for you geek-rock fans).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baksiidaa For This Useful Post:
lol, I like the idea of buying a n800's worth of dice but I already have a nice set. I was just hoping to have something on the tablet.

Oh and the python thing is cool but that is more work than I want to do for each roll. If I gave someone the windows program I use could they port it? I don't think I know enough to be porting apps yet.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Too much work? All you have to do for a second roll is push up and then enter. If you wanted, you could make a python script really easily that continually asks for number of sides and then gives an output, or just have a default number of sides.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Wow, I learn something new everyday! I never knew you could run python commands directly from the shell. This is awesome!

Now I can just make a loop to generate random number instead of using my TI-83, so much faster for stats class!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

verumgero post up some links to a flash app that is similar to what you want and if I have time over the thanksgiving break I'll try to wip up an app for you...no promises though.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Here is bash script to generate random number between 1 and 6. You need to install bash (3.x works, not sure of 2.5x) available in the extras repository. You can use gxmessage (maemo port available in this forum) to display it in large nice fonts inside a dialog window.

#!/bin/bash
((N=RANDOM%6))
N=`expr $N + 1`
echo $N

Too much work? All you have to do for a second roll is push up and then enter. If you wanted, you could make a python script really easily that continually asks for number of sides and then gives an output, or just have a default number of sides.
Sorry, I am new to python all together. I am reading up on everything that I can and hope to be proficient before too long, I didn't know I could just push up and enter for a new number, I thought I had to re-enter the whole command again. Thanks for the tip.

verumgero post up some links to a flash app that is similar to what you want and if I have time over the thanksgiving break I'll try to wip up an app for you...no promises though.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

http://yoav.org/dice/

Thanks a lot for offering to put an app together for me. I'm really not in a hurry at all, this is more of a fun project than anything. Thanks again.