Notices

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
preface: I've had my eye out for a free GPS app with offline routing for a couple months now, and as far as I can tell, there is none. So, the question is, which app do I settle for? This list should help answer that question and others. Maybe it will find its way into the wiki someday (?) in some form or another. Lots of people use their IT for GPS, so it seems like there should be a complete list of GPS apps somewhere--EDIT: GPS navigation/mapping&tracking apps, and I couldn't find one anywhere. So, here's my attempt:
  1. Wayfinder (a.k.a. "Map"): pre-installed, free, vector-based mapping (entire US in less than 2 gb of map files), very stable, finger-friendly
  2. Wayfinder with paid license*: expensive, but you get all of the above PLUS offline voice-guided navigation
  3. Roadmap: free, vector-based mapping
  4. Maemo Mapper: free, image-based mapping (OpenStreet, Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, or other formats; storing the entire US at every zoom level on your IT is out of the question), voice-guided navigation for routes imported from google maps (must be online to calculate routes)
  5. Navit: free, vector-based mapping, offline point-and-click routing (typing in addresses is broken)
  6. TangoGPS: free, image-based mapping
  7. Hike: free, image-based mapping (using imported JPG or PNG < 12 MB)
  8. Cumulus: free, vector-based mapping (KFLog format), specialized for flight navigation
  9. GPS City Guide: free, image-based mapping (OpenStreet format), displays tourist POIs and links to online wikipedia info about them
  10. zmapper: (?) currently unstable. has anyone out there tried this?

*Some have tried--and fewer have succeeded--in cracking the 7-day trial period offered for voice-guided navigation with Wayfinder. While I don't support this behavior, I feel obligated to list it as an "option" here, for the sake of completeness.

I intend to edit this list according to suggestions/corrections/updates. so, please comment/criticize.

Last edited by jmjanzen; 2008-12-11 at 19:10. Reason: added 4 apps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmjanzen For This Useful Post:
Navit or anything that uses OpenStreet Map as a the backend is probably the ideal, however there are places which are lacking data.

We were talking after the summit about producing a routing and tile generation server for Maemo mapper which was to use OSM data (and therefore be able to work off-line) but I, for one, have been pretty busy and it's slipped down the todo list. Interested?

boy, i'd really love to help, but i'm not a developer. sorry. i have the time, but not the skills.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
jmjanzen: Adding information on which applications share the same data source (if any do) could be helpful. Just a thought. Thank you for the little summary!

Andy

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
And what about Hike ?
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/hike/
This is a simple application it accepts self-scanned .jpg / .png maps up till 12 MB size.
I made a small PHP script to convert Oziexplorer .map files to calibration files.
Unfortunately no further versions are updated since Sep 2008.
But the application works, ideal for hiking, bike tours or inflight flight tracking.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
has anyone tried using garnet vm as a gateway to using other popular navigational products like TomTom or Garmin??

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by xtothea420 View Post
has anyone tried using garnet vm as a gateway to using other popular navigational products like TomTom or Garmin??
No does not work, the GPS is not supported even when the N810 has an active BT connaction with a GPS and the GPS has a fix.
This can only work when the (virtual) Bluetooth in GarnetVM maps to the real BT on the N810 and that is not the case.

TomTom for Palm is also an ARM program (most PalmOS apps are m68k still), and doesn't run in GVM. At least not up to and including the second beta.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
More in depth reviews are necessary.

It is possible to buy a lifetime Navicore 2007 license for 20-30 USD/GBP/EUR if you search a bit around.

Some have a data plan to use together with the N8x0. This makes (some) of these mentioned applications more useful because then can get active traffic information, get map data while on the go, and so on.

20-30?!

I'd pay $50 for a lifetime navicore license WITHOUT HESITATION. where do you suggest I search? i've tried froogle and ebay without success.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmjanzen For This Useful Post:

Tags
applications, free, gps, routing, voice-guided