Damned it. I was watching a holiday roaring fire .avi on my N800 when I walked away and pulled the plug with my foot.

The N800 landed softly but the wall charger/plug head going into the unit bent and now will only charge when I sit there and physically jam the plug in.

The USB cord is not a practical help since the computer is not in my bedroom and the N800 is used as my bedside clock. Because it's my bedside clock and the clock face is always on, I don't want to depend on swapping out batteries or powering down. I need the unit to be plugged in and juiced up all the time.

I need a new wall charger and am in Canada.

I *really* don't want to pay expensive shipping costs from Europe for this thing and if there's a replacement supplier thread, I didn't find it (maybe I was using the wrong text for searching).

Any suggestions?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It's a standard nokia phone charger which most nokia phones use. The one that comes with the N800 is an 'AC-4X' but I'm using an 'AC-5X' fine. Just make sure that you don't buy an 'AC-3X'.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Well... I got a Nokia with a 7/11 SpeakOut pay-as-you-go that expired about 6 months ago. It's a 1600.

I'm looking at the plug now. "AC-2U Input: 100-240V~/50-60Hz/150mA Output: 5.3V = /500mA and that's all there is.

The N800 charger says "[same]... Output: DC 5V, 890mA".

So... if I plug that sucker in, will it fry my N800?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Ebay... Search "Nokia AC-4", and it should find you OEM chargers at reasonable cost.

Moot point - the wall charger plug doesn't fit the N800 anyway.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I took an usb extension cord, cut the female plug and spliced it into the charger cable, then I bought a cheap usb charging cable from dealextreme.
Beware, some people reported problems with this adapter, for me it's working fine (I had to push in some strands of wire after a while, but that may be because the socket in my n800 is also damaged).

Thanks for all the quick replies. As usual, this forum is great and good.

Once I got the name of the plug, I just narrowed it down to a local source:

http://www.gocellular.ca/index.php?c...id=981879cfe32 . Cheap enough to get 2, close enough to make a fast run to during a lunch hour on Monday if they won't allow me to get it by my favorite courrier service.

Hurray!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
There are two Nokia plug sizes. A bigger one that doesn't fit, and the small one that does fit. Any Nokia phone charger with the small plug will work. You should be able to find a compatible charger in most electronic stores that sell replacement chargers for cell phones.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Betty Woo View Post
Well... I got a Nokia with a 7/11 SpeakOut pay-as-you-go that expired about 6 months ago. It's a 1600.

I'm looking at the plug now. "AC-2U Input: 100-240V~/50-60Hz/150mA Output: 5.3V = /500mA and that's all there is.

The N800 charger says "[same]... Output: DC 5V, 890mA".

So... if I plug that sucker in, will it fry my N800?
This will probably work.

The rule with Nokia chargers is: if it fits, it works.

AC-3E and AC-5E work on several Nokia devices including N810 and probably N800 as well. AC-3E is older, it has far less output, so it probably takes a lot longer with this charger. It came with a 2630 which is a slightly bigger brother of your Nokia 1600. AC-5E came recently with my Nokia E71 (far newer).

In fact, tons of Nokia telephones use the same battery as your N800.

But maybe you already damaged your N800 (as well, or only the N800).

You can find the very same charger (or very similar) on eBay probably cheap enough that it isn't worth your time to hesitate.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
This will probably work.

The rule with Nokia chargers is: if it fits, it works.
Specifically, see www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/3378ff2b-4016-42b9-9118-d59e4313a521/Nokia_2-mm_DC_Charging_Interface_Specification_v1_2_en.pdf .html

I am using the charger I got with my Nokia 5200. My second charger is a generic 5V charger (actually from an old LG phone) with a cable hacked off the original UK charger I got with my N800.

Note if you read the spec, a 5V charger will only show as a "special" charger and in my experience, it never indicates a "full" state. (It does with the 5200's AC-3U charger though)