I recently encountered one of those much-hyped Macbook Airs in the flesh. I found the whole thing greatly uninspiring.

First of all, it is really not that thin. Sure, one portion of the computer is super thin, but it thickens out very quickly near the back. The only thing that makes people think it is thin is fancy camera work and the unusually large capacity of manilla envelopes.

I then noticed that the device has an uncanny resemblance to my N810. Both have good battery life and are designed for some kind of portability. They are both intended for quickly browsing the web and other such tasks that are light on resources. My N810 only has one USB port, just like the Macbook Air, and accessing said USB port requires that I open a gate which renders the device incapable of sitting flat on a table. Neither has wired networking capability, instead relying entirely on WiFi.

Here's where the N810 comes out on top, though:
  • It is consistently thinner. For that "ooh neat!" thinness provided by the front portion of the Macbook Air, keep in mind that the N810 when unfolded has two halves, each around 6 mm thin.
  • It fits in a letter sized envelope!

Hmm, do I sound bitter?

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-12-25 at 16:24.

Bitter? Certainly not, I don't think you'll be frowned upon for a little bit of Apple bashing on this site

Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Hmm, do I sound bitter?
yes...............

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The N8x0 isn't a laptop.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
My MacBook (not air) is SUPER thin.

Tim

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
you ran over it with a road roller?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The N8x0 isn't a laptop.
Yeah... lets see you run Photoshop CS4 on that N810. Have fun. I have a 12" PB and trust me you can do far more than "light" stuff on it compared to the N8x0. Not even worth a comparison unless of course you ONLY do light stuff.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Yeah... let's see you putting your PB in your pocket. Who the hell needs CS4 on-the-go?)

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
Yeah... let's see you putting your PB in your pocket. Who the hell needs CS4 on-the-go?)
clearly you've not had a job that required a visit to a client lication to do graphic work.