Active Topics

Ummmm....7 hours on a 3ghz machine? Can we get this technology on a tablet please!!

For anyone else who wasn't tracking Applefest....

The machine in question is a 17" MBP.

And I'm sure we can get that tech on a 17" tablet. But I'm much less sure I want it. Big laptops can afford big batteries. (Also, expensive laptops can afford low-voltage binned CPUs and such. I don't think I want Apple pricing on my next tablet, either.)

Lol Benson. It's not the size of the battery or the tablet, it's about the tech. If it's as new as it seems (particularly the ability to charge specific cells within a battery) and adds to battery life, why not? Even if it pushed the usable time (at least for me) to a full 8 hours (I've never gone that long on a single charge while actively using the tablet especially if the cpu gets pegged by the RSS reader) I'd be all for it.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Lol Benson. It's not the size of the battery or the tablet, it's about the tech. If it's as new as it seems (particularly the ability to charge specific cells within a battery) and adds to battery life, why not? Even if it pushed the usable time (at least for me) to a full 8 hours (I've never gone that long on a single charge while actively using the tablet especially if the cpu gets pegged by the RSS reader) I'd be all for it.
Awesome. They fixed an inherent disadvantage of multicell batteries -- they should be approaching the usable energy density of single-cell batteries like the one you're using. I honestly don't know how much of an advancement it is over "normal" laptop batteries, but I do know that the differences are mostly non-applicable to tablets, and I seriously suspect the battery is abnormally large; since the screen determines overall size, and electronics are historically easier to shrink than batteries, it only makes sense.

And if you want 8 hours, go for a Mugen 3.6 A h -- it does get that life in my N800.

Well I suppose we'll see but the claim is that the laptop is no heavier or otherwise dimensionally changed so it implies that the battery dimension size is the same as it was on the previous (current?) generation 17". So if that's the case then I would like a same size battery as the current one in my N800 with more life. Apparently it can be done?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i suspect its the same battey tech that HP recently announced they would start to use.

got to say tho, i love how apple justified not having a removable battery...

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Battery life is added just by filling all free space with battery. Super-high-tech indeed I'd prefer to have smaller battery, but removable.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Even if it pushed the usable time (at least for me) to a full 8 hours (I've never gone that long on a single charge while actively using the tablet especially if the cpu gets pegged by the RSS reader) I'd be all for it.
My goodness. I've never managed to "actively use" the tablet for anything approaching 8 hours solid, although I've come close, while using it with Maemo Mapper to track my route through the backcountry. The battery was fine. But the screen was off for most of that time.

I also used the tablet for many hours in a row (4 or 5?) while on a plane to Europe. I needed to use an external 4AA battery pack to supplement the tablet's battery in that case, since I had the screen on the whole time...

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Well I suppose we'll see but the claim is that the laptop is no heavier or otherwise dimensionally changed so it implies that the battery dimension size is the same as it was on the previous (current?) generation 17". So if that's the case then I would like a same size battery as the current one in my N800 with more life. Apparently it can be done?
That claim doesn't follow. The mainboard for the new laptop is almost certainly smaller. They do have diagrams of how much space the battery cells takes up, which is quite considerable really.

Its just like when Apple spun the iPod Shuffle's lack of playlist support as a great feature. Music in shuffle mode was the new cool.

Now Apple does the same with lack of removable batteries on laptops as the new cool - cause it gives you better battery life.

All ye Apple suckers !