Active Topics

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/342/C5888/

Any chance these work on the Nokias? If they do, they'd make an awesome way to watch videos while you're traveling.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
. . . it will only connect directly to Samsung’s SGH-D600 phone for AV input, but there is word that with the implementation of a cable link, and videos can be played off the included 128MB SD card.
I can't tell from the info what purpose the Bluetooth serves.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
it will only connect directly to Samsung’s SGH-D600 phone for AV input
That is what the bluetooth is for...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
hmm...interesting. I can think of two ideas here: 1) Maybe the Samsung phone just makes video files placed in a certain folder available for bluetooth file transfer (ie: the glasses pull from the phone. 2) Maybe the glasses start playing the video when the user 'pushes' a file at the glasses. 3) It might be some kind of video transfer protocol analogous to the open a2dp spec, but I've never heard of such a thing. If it's (3) then the protocol is probably proprietary to Samsung.

Aside: That 320x240 resolution sounds kind of painful. I'd really prefer 640x480 wired goggles.

-John

baksiidaa: Well, from what I understand, the bluetooth is for streaming the video from the device to the goggles.

Johnx: Well, interestingly enough, this was just one of several I found. I'm hoping that at least one of them works with the n810.

If the videos can be played off the included 128 MB SD card that means the video decoding hardware is on the glasses. Which makes sense - streaming uncompressed video and audio would take quite a bit of bandwidth. I think this rules out the a2dp-style-video option.
I'd bet on Johnx's hypothesis #1.

Well, as I said, these aren't the only bluetooth video glasses. But I linked them to show that these are out there and they offer some possibilities for wireless video. Also, if someone can find a 480x240 resolution set of glasses, and the bluetooth linked correctly to create a remote display, you *could* in theory make this into part of a wearable computer.