I have a convertible laptop with a touch screen. Evtouch driver works well for it. However, it does not work in portrait mode. The screen rotates, but the touch panel calibration does not.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10. They've fixed the problem in Jaunty; but I don't want to install the jaunty alpha.

Can I just replace the existing evtouch.so file with the jaunty binary? Is there a better way to get what I want? (Evtouch 0.8.8 instead of 0.8.7).

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I don't see the harm in trying that. Just replace the file if something goes wrong.

If it is a open source driver, you might be able to compile it for 8.10. I'm not an expert or anything, so don't trust my word...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
I'm sure there are plenty of guids out there on how to update the Ubuntu kernel to a later/earlier one. IIRC, the ubuntu kernel for jaunty isn't too bleeding edge at all now, so i'm sure there's a relativly stable one to update to.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcbray For This Useful Post:
replacing the so file sort of worked. It fixed the rotation problem; but introduced different problems. The clicks are messed up. tap and hold no longer drags for some reason. That might be because of gok. I'm not sure.