Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
I've recently canceled my cellular service and have been looking for a neat alternative. What could grant me more mobility than a house phone but still not be a cell phone? Originally I thought of basic netgear or belkin skype phones but then I saw the Nokia N810 w/skype. Does the N810 have the right stuff? If so/not, why?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sunnydips View Post
I've recently canceled my cellular service and have been looking for a neat alternative. What could grant me more mobility than a house phone but still not be a cell phone? Does the N810 have the right stuff?
If you have access to WiFi networks (that don't block Skype) everywhere you'll want to make calls, then the N810 may fit your needs. However, if summoning assistance during a sudden case of vehicular breakdown on a lonely stretch of highway on a dark and stormy night is part of your use case, then you may be out of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
If you have access to WiFi networks (that don't block Skype) everywhere you'll want to make calls, then the N810 may fit your needs. However, if summoning assistance during a sudden case of vehicular breakdown on a lonely stretch of highway on a dark and stormy night is part of your use case, then you may be out of luck.
I'm way ahead of you sir. I recently signed up for 70 minutes of free cellular service per month for auto emergencies through SafeLink Wireless. I've called NokiaUSA looking for a location to purchase the N810 in person because like all expensive electronic devices I'd like to try it before I buy it. Unfortunately the only stores where I could play with the device are Nokia stores and they don't exist anywhere near me. So it seems I'm stuck trying to make a decision by reading forums and watching youtube videos.

I use my N800 as my primary phone with a SIP number. it allows me the ability to receive calls whenever i am in a wifi network that doesn't block me (at the library my SIP does not sign on). the only issues i have had are the occasional echo and a delay that seems to happen fairly frequently. there are a ton of SIP services that can be used with RTComm Beta. Hope this helps.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
See if your local Walmart has one.
If not, perhaps post your location, and one of the friendly forum members will let you fondle their n810s.

Originally Posted by jpramlak View Post
See if your local Walmart has one.
If not, perhaps post your location, and one of the friendly forum members will let you fondle their n810s.
HA HA You make it sound so dirty!

Originally Posted by buhao View Post
I use my N800 as my primary phone with a SIP number. it allows me the ability to receive calls whenever i am in a wifi network that doesn't block me (at the library my SIP does not sign on). the only issues i have had are the occasional echo and a delay that seems to happen fairly frequently. there are a ton of SIP services that can be used with RTComm Beta. Hope this helps.

Is there anywhere I can find a list of which work on the 810 and how they compare to each other?

Which do you use?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sunnydips View Post
Is there anywhere I can find a list of which work on the 810...
You should be able to use the service of any vendor who provides device configuration settings for SIP over UDP or TCP. See the relevant images on the RTCOMM page for exactly what information you'll need from the SIP provider.

Which do you use?
I have RTCOMM configured with the settings from my SIPphone/Gizmo account and have used it for outgoing calls via DialCentral, but only a handful of times.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I have RTCOMM configured with the settings from my SIPphone/Gizmo account and have used it for outgoing calls via DialCentral, but only a handful of times.
This is what I'm using in lieu of a cell phone. Considering it's completely free, I'm more than satisfied w/the call quality. The only thing I miss is the ability to get online while moving.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I use both the Gizmo/SIP client with GrandCentral (for free calls anywhere in USA/Canada), and Skype (for cheap calls worldwide). Skype is also very satisfactory for VoIP. One advantage is that it tends to be harder to block; it can sneak through most firewalls etc. Another of the cool things Skype can do is multi-person conferencing. The N8x0 makes a nice speakerphone, too. Set it in the middle of the table with the speakers cranked up and you and the family can all talk to Grandma.

Last edited by qole; 2009-02-17 at 23:05.