Active Topics

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
WOW, it's possible to use a bt keyboard with an IPhone. This is the future ... it shows the advantages of Apple's closed source strategy.

http://www.ubiqkom.org/blog/?p=41

It's quite amazing that this is an unsupported hack and you need a jailbroken phone.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
and yet you see all kinds of US tech blogs reporting it as impressive progress...

gag me with a keyboard...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

It's quite amazing that this is an unsupported hack and you need a jailbroken phone.
And I read that Apple is trying to make it illegal to jailbreak their phones. Though this was just by reading headlines as I didn't care to read the full articles.

I also remember reading a while that someone had coaxed a stripped down version of greasemonkey onto an iphone and everyone was so impressed. So stupid as we have had greasemonkey on Maemo for quite some time.

The other thing is that technically 99% of the apps that we (well me anyway) install and use on Maemo are not Nokia supported. That little dialogue that we click OK on before an app installs says that Nokia does not support the software. Not that I need their approval. At least they let us do what we want and just make us verify that we know that they don't support what we do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buhao For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I seriously don't get why they wouldn't let you do such things as such in the first place.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
they need a reason to show of that "clever" software keyboard they made...

its all about the "user experience"...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I seriously don't get why they wouldn't let you do such things as such in the first place.
Adding functionality adds complexity. UI designers like to brag about how their products are so functionally crippled simple that they can be used by an untrained chimpanzee precisely as well as by a dedicated computer whiz. (They often neglect to mention that the "use", in both cases, consists largely of throwing the product against a wall and spitting on it.)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
WOW, it's possible to use a bt keyboard with an IPhone. This is the future ... it shows the advantages of Apple's closed source strategy.

http://www.ubiqkom.org/blog/?p=41

Actually it's not a hack, it's a hoax, apparently there's a VNC icon instead of a BT one. Ooops. So you still can't use that keyboard with anything in your pocket, UNLESS you have a N810 which it pairs with and works with just fine

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Yeah, it's not broken ...... it's advanced!

The Following User Says Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/05/j...rd-says-hello/

But now it is wireless! OMG!

And attila77, almost any smartphone or PDA from the past five years can use a bluetooth keyboard. And Bluetooth headphones. And Bluetooth networking.

But the iPhone has "the most advanced mobile browser !!!!!11!11!!11!" so I guess Apple decided to leave those out...

Still a nice hack though... (even if it was VNC)

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Apple is a ******ed company. They take the most illogical approaches to user interaction just to be different. Steve Jobs pokes fun at the stylus and says its a thing of the past but then you see a 3rd party stylus comes out and everyone is like "AWESOME OMG!!1111 iphone IZ DA BEST!!" Then you have apple mice and trackpads on their laptops with only 1 button. Apple just hates doing what others do for no good reason. The laptops have stupid gestures for right clicking instead of just adding a second button. I don't want to perform some kind of damn sign language on my trackpad just to right click.

And that is my rant

The Following User Says Thank You to Voltron For This Useful Post: