Posts: 91 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Pacific NW
I have several Apps installed in N800 and don't even know the sources where I got them. So, before I get rid of the N800 I would like to copy the Apps. I copied documents, images to a folder and then uploaded to my PC via US cable. Then, I was trying to copy the Apps but couldn't do it.

I went ahead and used the back up copy from the N800 then copied to my PC, then I used the Back up copy and reinstated into the N810, all the Apps and images were installed and they are running, except my POP email setting and files got delete on both N800 and N810.

However, after I reinstated the Backup copy to the N810 I realized I made a big mistake because the Apps were installed for N800 not N810.

I need to know how to put it set the N810 straight and remove all the files that I have installed (Backup copy from N800). It seems that the backup on the N810 is more labor intense since there is not second SD card, so you have to use the removable and only Micro SD card as the destination for the Backup, take it out, place the Micro into another Adapter in order to fit into a regular SD card.

How can I copy Apps from N800 to N810

The Following User Says Thank You to searcher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Well... on a linux system there are lots of standard directories - e.g. /usr/bin for the binaries themselves, /usr/lib for libraries, /etc for some system wide settings stuff etc etc. So you most probably can't just copy the binaries from /usr/bin but you would need to find out which files a package installed. And I assume that you will run into problems when an application has been linked against library X version y.z while the library X in Diablo might already have version y.z+1.

Does not sound like an easy task at all to me.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
If you have really screwed up your n810 then you should reflash it.

The hardware for the n800 and n810 is mostly the same, so applications that work for n800 will work with n810. If you are having problems it's because either you are trying to use applications compiled on one version of maemo with another or because you have copied over key system files. I don't use the built in nokia backup but it should be OK to use to transfer files between the n800 and the n810.

Sadly some applications are not standard, they will use the SD cards to store configuration, which is why your email settings were not saved.

If you use the same SD card in the n800 and n810 it might show up, but there may be problems since the SD cards are different between the n800 and n810. You may be able to tell the application to use a different SD card then the one it is using now in which case it would find the old files.

If you search for "program name" with "diablo" or "chinook" you should be able to find the place you got the files from. http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php is a good resource.

Sometimes it is OK to install programs from a different maemo version, chinook programs are often OK to use with diablo, if there are applications available for chinook not diablo. In general the application manager will not let you install applications that have no chance of working.

Last edited by sarahn; 2009-02-26 at 16:42.