Notices

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Lieto, Finland
If someone's interested in Qt based application framework and a window manager, here's a short video about QTablet running Hildon applications in two different virtual desktops on N810. There's pannable views such as menu called QLauncer, the Wall i.e. the home screen and a Pager where user can change the virtual desktops and maximize minimized applications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAwmW6_G0TM

Note, that QTablet is not ready for general use, but just wanted to share all the interested parties that the project is still alive, and development will continue.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zchydem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
A pretty good start.

With a little more work and polish, this could easily rival the Pre interface in usability, and even style. I would love to see this implemented as a Mer/Maemo replacement ui!

Keep up the great work!

I would give feedback, but I understand that the project is not yet done, so I'll wait until your vision is complete.

YARR!
}:^)~

{orrupt

Looks neat - keep up the good work!

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
A pretty good start.

With a little more work and polish, this could easily rival the Pre interface in usability, and even style. I would love to see this implemented as a Mer/Maemo replacement ui!

Keep up the great work!

I would give feedback, but I understand that the project is not yet done, so I'll wait until your vision is complete.

{orrupt
Thanks for the comments. The vision is to provide real graphics instead of coder graphics. I'm also planning to do it stylable at some point. For styling the Qt's CSS is quite heavy so I have plans to build QTablet's own styling system on the graphics view.

You had understood right, the project is not even near to finish, though I have got much motivation recently and I will continue the development.. Let's hope I'll get more help with QTablet like other developers that would be interested in to contribute..

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
looks cool keep up the good work.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
Getting this to run initially was a little more difficult than simply running the stop_services script. Matchbox automatically restarts because of dsmetool settings. In order to prevent it from immediately restarting, editing of /etc/osso-af-init/nice-launch-wrapper-tryrestart.sh was required. On line 57:

/usr/sbin/dsmetool -n -1 -t "$CMD $PARAMS"
needs to be changed to
/usr/sbin/dsmetool -n -1 -o "$CMD $PARAMS"

...this tells dsmetool to only restart matchbox once, and after that allows it to be killed. So then I edit your script to add killall -9 matchbox-window-manager, and I can finally start Qtablet!

Also, I don't understand why the pager's screen is slightly bigger than the tablet's screen. The bottom row of icons in the pager are half off the screen.

So far, apps that work:
Terminal
DialCentral
Fring

Apps that don't:
MyTube

Last edited by gogol; 2009-08-16 at 08:07.

Here's the link in case somebody else is interested:

http://qtablet.laginen.net/doku.php?...binarypackages

If you could create a simple .deb, I would love to try this!

(I know you're not really taking opinions here, but just for consideration) As far as interface goes, I would change the icon view by making the text display only when the icons are clicked and perhaps increasing the size of the icons until they are blurry/or moving them more closer together, maybe into a grid formation.

*random musings* I wonder how the memory consumption of this matches against the hildon desktop?

anyway, good job! I hope you are successful in getting this to a "working/final" stage.

The Following User Says Thank You to elimoon8 For This Useful Post:
I was surprised that some one is really trying out QTablet. Unfortunately I don't seem to have much time for continue developing it and now I'm proposing here that if there are developers that would like to continue the work, I'd be happy.

Please let me know if you're interested in this opportunity and send me email: marko.a.mattila( at )gmail.com

This desktop replacement rocked, shame nobody smart picked up the development. It wanted for nothing but a few tweaks !

The Following User Says Thank You to gogol For This Useful Post:

Tags
qgraphicsview, qt animation framework, qtablet, x11