Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I think there should be a 'grievances' forum for people that are disappointed for some reason with the NIT or Maemo.

This idea is similar to the 'Competition' forum; without which we (the nit community) would be perpetually fending off 'N8xx vs. iphone' posts.

I personally have had enough of negative, distracting, and moral-lowering posts that people feel compelled to write in place of actual solutions that empower the community and improve the tablet experience. Although certain posters may argue that pointing out flaws are helpful, any successful person will tell you that complaining is seldom productive. If the same effort were concerted in the direction of progress, the tablet community would be farther along.

I suggest that these posts be quarantined, so the rest of us can concentrate on improving this wonderful platform, and the bright future that this growing platform is destined for.

Are there any that agree?

YARR!
}:^)~

((apt'n

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
meh, whenever something like this comes up I think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
meh, whenever something like this comes up I think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k
HAHA.. That made my day.. I think I'm going to have to watch more monty python!

YARR!
/ apt'n
\

It's certainly a good idea - I'm just not sure (not sure at all :-) that the overall discipline we've seen since the "Competitors" was created will carry over to the "Gripes" forum :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Excellent point!

I'm thinking that in the case of a 'gripe' post, more people will respond...

"Take this message to the gripe forum where these types of posts belong."

... rather than long winded chains of attack and defence. This will reduce (though probably not eliminate) gripe posts in other areas. As a bonus, those that get a kick out of this sort of thing will have an entire forum as their playground.

YARR!

Capt'n O'Corrupt

Well, the idea is good, however, something like that can go downhill REALLY, REALLY fast, sorta like a politics forum. Mostly because the only people who would go into it really are those who have a bone to pick. If not very tightly managed, it could devolve very, very quickly into the opposite of what it's original intentions are. The system that exists now, where grievances are spread out over the whole forum and are focused on one particular area on which the grievance is directed is better.

For one, if the grievance is legitimate, Nokia (or whoever is being grumped against) will already be looking in that area and will be more likely to respond faster. Secondly, if the grievance isn't legitimate (IE, user issue, software issue, etc) and the problem is easily fixable, solutions can be sought and presented a lot quicker than if you had a forum just for grumping about stuff. See my point? Spread out the grievances and allow the current support system to resolve them as it's already doing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's a lousy idea, but it is consistent with the prevailing drive to expell dissenters and bask in an ever-shrinking collection of True Believers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
It wouldn't really help, anyway... People never post in the right forum. For example, wouldn't this topic be much more suited to the Comment/Suggest forum?

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Saint Paul, mn
Well, the purpose of the community is more about complaints than praise. People are confused, or concerned about a problem and turn to the forums for answers. Turns out that sometimes this concern or confusion can even sound negative. I have my concerns and issues, so I bring them here. When I become more skilled I'll bring my solutions...but the balance of the posts for any forum is likely to be negative.

BTW, half the fun of having a device like my N800 is solving problems. We're hobbyists hacking our machines to make the machines do what we would like, and often that leads to problems and frustrations. I'm not unhappy with my N800, I just love to hack. Wish I were better at it.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It's a lousy idea, but it is consistent with the prevailing drive to expell dissenters and bask in an ever-shrinking collection of True Believers.
Well articulated, but the credibility of your assertion is questionable as its not clear how you are measuring the 'drive to expel' and 'shrinking collection of True Believers'...

Thanks for your input, though. You are part of this community and deserve a say.

Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
It wouldn't really help, anyway... People never post in the right forum. For example, wouldn't this topic be much more suited to the Comment/Suggest forum?
Actually, it *is* working. Thanks to your suggestion, I am now aware of the comment/suggestion forum, and will be starting this thread over there (if there's not a mod that will move it!). So at least it is helping a little.

Anyone that's interested in continuing the discussion is more than welcome to come join!

Originally Posted by gpmartinson View Post
Well, the purpose of the community is more about complaints than praise. People are confused, or concerned about a problem and turn to the forums for answers. Turns out that sometimes this concern or confusion can even sound negative. I have my concerns and issues, so I bring them here. When I become more skilled I'll bring my solutions...but the balance of the posts for any forum is likely to be negative.
Great post! Very insightful, and well written.

The reason for this thread, was simply to improve the environment for development. I've read many posts where users have posted their apps or hacks and have been praised. Incidentally, this seems to have the effect of encouraging design and development, and many thanks. This is consistent with what I've come to understand: people like encouragement, people like praise, people like to feel valued and appreciated. By shaping the environment to be 'more' encouraging will likely mean more (and higher quality) development.

Of course, the opposite is negative, put-down posts (not just complaints necessarily), which seem to start arguments. Based on the response to brontide's latest post and frank.wagner's, I can only think that if a fraction of this energy were put into discussing possibilities, documenting features, or encouraging developers, the tablet experience would be all the better for it.

I may be the minority with this particular viewpoint....

YARR!

Capt'n