Active Topics

Notices

I'm in the process of trying to learn 3 languages (German, Russian and Japanese) and while I have Rosetta Stone working under WINE on my Linux computer the times that I'm at my desktop are few and far-between.

Is there a program that helps learning foreign languages that will work on the n800? Even if it doesn't help with vocalization at least seeing the words written and trying to sound them would be beneficial.

The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCowboy For This Useful Post:
There's another program called Mnemosyne that is written in Python. It runs natively on Linux. I doubt that there is a Maemo-ized version, but it seems like it would be relatively easy to port, at least compared with running a Windows program through Wine.

CyberCowboy, it's interesting that you mention that. One of the best systems I've used (aside from Rosetta Stone) is the Pimsleur's language learning systems. You can learn any of like 30-40 different languages on the go. It consists of a workbook you tinker with in your free time, and a set of 30 lessons each in three different levels (90 total lessons) that you listen to with your MP3 player.

I have the complete levels 1-3 of Japanese and believe me, while the grammer isn't 100% (it was when the series was created, but languages are dynamic and evolve over time) it's good enough to make you capable of conversational Japanese very easily. Just listen, repeat, and remember. It's really pretty easy. I used to listen to one lesson each day I went to work. I'd do the lesson twice going up (each lesson is 30 minutes) and twice coming home. Then when you feel you're ready, just move up to the next lesson.

I'd highly recommend them because it works perfectly for those who are interested in learning languages, but can't do so in front of a computer or are rather mobile like yourself. They also have russian and german lessons too. Personally, if I were you, here's my suggestion for learning the languages in this order:

1. Japanese
2. German
3. Russian

Japanese is easy because it's more structured and is phonetic (like english) rather than intonation based (chinese is an example of that) or mixed such as german and russian are. I learned german to a small degree when I was a kid, and I'll say that, while it's indeed based on Latin the same as English, Japanese will still be quicker to pick up because it doesn't allow you to fall back on old habits. Once you break yourself of those old habits, you'll actually find german a ton easier to learn (the old habits I'm talking about are unconscious things you do when speaking english that will actually make it harder to learn german until you break them), and then once you master german (especially high german), russian will seem like cake, even though it's the hardest of the 3 to learn.

Of course, you're welcome to learn them in any order you like, but my suggestions were made to help you get to your goals faster.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Any news on this? I used to have language learning programs for Turkish when I still used windows, but I found I simply don't want to sit down at my computer at home for anything else but fun.

It would be different on a mobile device, though, because during my commute, there's time to fill and I don't usually listen to music.

Frankly, as long as it's mobile, I don't care if it's S60 or Maemo. I have both
What's important, though: It shouldn't only be a flashcard-application for teaching me the words. (And I certainly don't want an application that would require me to type in the words myself.)
I want the full treatment, including grammar, native speakers, cloze tests etc.

There's plenty for Windows, but I've yet to see a system that's specifically made to run on mobile devices.

@Lord Raiden: Pimsleur's is a method rather than a specific piece of software. Can you specify which software you were referring to, please?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Is there such an application for Linux desktop? Something which compares to Rosetta Stone? I mean open source, or even a proprietary Linux/x86-32. Alhough one could use RDP to get Rosetta Stone on Nokia N900.

allnameswereout: There's nothing for the Linux desktop at this time. The only thing that you can do is either run one of the Windows apps via Wine, or just get the books and mp3's.

benny1967: as I told allnameswereout, if you want to be away from your computer and still learn a foreign language, you'll need to either look into the learning mp3's or the books.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
If you want an online option, check out the national broadcasters of each of these countries. The content is usually quite good, and you can hook up with a community of learners for more support. Oh, and it's free!

NHK (Japan) has lessons via a link at the top of their main page, here: http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/index.html

For German, check out the left side of Deutche Welle's main page, here: http://www.dw-world.de/

Voice of Russia is starting new language learning material, "Russian For You". See the link near the bottom-right here: http://english.ruvr.ru/index.php?lng=eng

Most of the other major international broadcasters offer similar material, so just dig around or ask for more links.

The Following User Says Thank You to TenSpeed For This Useful Post:
How I wish they would make a Rosetta Stone for Maemo. The format would fit the form factor perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There's another program called Mnemosyne that is written in Python. It runs natively on Linux. I doubt that there is a Maemo-ized version, but it seems like it would be relatively easy to port, at least compared with running a Windows program through Wine.
Actually there seems to be an project going on already called pomni:
https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/pomni/How_to_install

There is an online version of the program called Supermemo (http://www.Supermemo.net) which has some courses in different languages, should work on mobiles I think

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Coruņa, ES
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There is a port, done in this year's Google Summer of Code: http://wiki.maemo.org/GSoC_2009/Proj...syne_for_Maemo

EDIT: Shame on me, this is the same that Arono was saying a post before.

Last edited by Bulfaiter; 2009-09-30 at 09:24.