Is there any alternate GUI Application Manager for the N810 ?

Anything that allows you to select multiple applications for install, and just installing them at once, like you can do in Linux on the desktop - not one after another, with lengthy refreshes between each and every app ?

Reinstall after a flashing is becoming utterly unbearable... takes 2-3 hours to install all my applications one by one, and i don't know the package names of all applications to just use apt-get from console...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teniac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
When re-flashing if you have a backup the programs list will be reinstalled (with exceptions for apps not available in the application manager). Unfortunately you still have to confirm/redirect some applications during this process.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I second this plea. I don't care how hard it is to use synaptic app manager on a tiny screen, it beats the 5hit out of waiting 10 minutes to install two apps.

Until then, there is always apt-get.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just unticked the box in settings in red pill mode to download packages to the mmc. Looks like it was enabled by default for those running off the internal memory. The app manager seems a bit more responsive now I've stopped it from doing that, but it cold just be like the effects from a placebo... I'm not sure.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Why in the world are you running in Red Pill? That'd be one way to explain slowness.

Anyway, if you need to install a bunch of stuff at the same time, try apt-get.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
I second this plea. I don't care how hard it is to use synaptic app manager on a tiny screen, it beats the 5hit out of waiting 10 minutes to install two apps.

Until then, there is always apt-get.
Ok, so by this you mean that it's possible to use Synaptic on the N810 ?

Is there a version already made to work for the N810, or do i have to build it myself (don't think i have the skills, i would appreciate all the help i can get) ?

Originally Posted by Cadabena View Post
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just unticked the box in settings in red pill mode to download packages to the mmc. Looks like it was enabled by default for those running off the internal memory. The app manager seems a bit more responsive now I've stopped it from doing that, but it cold just be like the effects from a placebo... I'm not sure.
Not only it doesn't answer my question, i don't even understand what you are talking about...

Which "settings", some program's or general tablet settings ? ; what "red pill mode", do you mean RD or something else ?

Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
When re-flashing if you have a backup the programs list will be reinstalled (with exceptions for apps not available in the application manager). Unfortunately you still have to confirm/redirect some applications during this process.
Thank you. Not what i asked, however, so not really helping.

[Edit] - Sorry, on second look that sounded a bit too harsh - the "Thank you" wasn't sarcastic at all, i meant it, i will use the backup utility in the future if there is no other option.

Last edited by teniac; 2009-04-18 at 03:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to teniac For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Anyway, if you need to install a bunch of stuff at the same time, try apt-get.
Sigh... I mean, seriously - It was right there, in the first post...

Let me repeat myself :
I need to know if there's any alternate GUI - as in Graphical User Interface, not terminal app, that can do multiple installs like Synaptic does on the desktop.

I considered apt-get initially, but i need to install a lot of applications, and i don't know the package names of all of them - that is why i need a click-click-done graphical app manager, not apt-get.

Common people, it's not really difficult - i'm not requesting that someone code an app manager for me, resolve complex engineering problems, or do house calls - just tell me if you heard of something like this or not, and that is it, i'll leave you alone to your business.

4 replies, 3 out of them from senior members of the forum, and only 1 of them even at least hinted to something like what was asked for in the original post, albeit not going into details (thanks Thesandlord).

I just need a 'yay' or a 'nay', and if 'yay', a quick 'what?', 'where?', and 'how?'.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by teniac View Post
Sigh... I mean, seriously - It was right there, in the first post...
By telling you to use apt-get, there was an implied "No, such a GUI option does not exist".

Originally Posted by teniac View Post
4 replies, 3 out of them from senior members of the forum, and only 1 of them even at least hinted to something like what was asked for in the original post, albeit not going into details (thanks Thesandlord).
Beggars can't be choosers, and abusing people that are trying to help you isn't a good way to have them continue helping you in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: