Poll: Should talk.maemo.org create and support a dark theme like the original ITT?
Poll Options
Should talk.maemo.org create and support a dark theme like the original ITT?

Reply
Thread Tools
TabletHacker's Avatar
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ cyberspace
#1
Well should they?
 

The Following User Says Thank You to TabletHacker For This Useful Post:
Jaffa's Avatar
Posts: 2,531 | Thanked: 6,638 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
#2
The phrasing "Should talk.maemo.org create and support ..." suggests that a) the people behind talk.maermo.org (primarily Reggie) owe you something or are at your beck and call and b) it's not something you/anyone else is capable of doing.

No-one's saying there won't be another theme, but why demand Reggie does it?
__________________
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org
 
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#3
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The phrasing "Should talk.maemo.org create and support ..." suggests that a) the people behind talk.maermo.org (primarily Reggie) owe you something or are at your beck and call and b) it's not something you/anyone else is capable of doing.

No-one's saying there won't be another theme, but why demand Reggie does it?
I see nowhere it said Reggie has to do anything. Maemo.org should get it together. Use internal employees, use Quim's marketing money and pay someone. I don't really care, I just don't want to wait months, and I am sick of the "of your not willing to do it yourself" then shut-up attitude.

I filed a bug, talk.maemo.org is now part of maemo.org, so this becomes maemo.org's problem.

If it so easy that anyone can do it, why the hell isn't it getting done??
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.
 
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#4
Reggie, please help me understand. Seriously....


At ITT you had multiple themes, why is it now suddenly way more work to continue the status quo, now that you have more people behind the site, it would seem to me to be easier to maintain.

What specifically is the adverse reaction to the themes.
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-05-02 at 18:10.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Jaffa's Avatar
Posts: 2,531 | Thanked: 6,638 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
#5
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Maemo.org should get it together. Use internal employees, use Quim's marketing money and pay someone. I don't really care, I just don't want to wait months
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
And come September, I am going for a council position.
So, as a council member, exactly how would you use your power (such as it is) to effect this change?
__________________
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org
 
GeneralAntilles's Avatar
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,209 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
#6
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
If it so easy that anyone can do it, why the hell isn't it getting done??
OK, ill-advised troll-post feeding here but I'll bite.

Perhaps because the paid people have a lot more important things to work on, the volunteers don't have a problem with the theme and also have more important things to work on, and the people who really seem to have a problem with the theme are more interested in reiterating their complaints at every opportunity than doing something about it.

We get it, you don't like the light theme. Your bug report has been filed. Now it's time for you to either fix it yourself or wait for somebody else to fix it. In the mean time, let's move on to more constructive pursuits.
__________________
Ryan Abel
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#7
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
So, as a council member, exactly how would you use your power (such as it is) to effect this change?
I wouldn't

I would use my Role as council member to get more people involved, and keep people more informed. I realize that you all have lots of information flying everywhere, but it is not organized nor easy to find.

Thus eliminating this problem from happening in the first place. If I could only time travel.....
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.
 
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#8
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
OK, ill-advised troll-post feeding here but I'll bite.

Perhaps because the paid people have a lot more important things to work on, the volunteers don't have a problem with the theme and also have more important things to work on, and the people who really seem to have a problem with the theme are more interested in reiterating their complaints at every opportunity than doing something about it.

We get it, you don't like the light theme. Your bug report has been filed. Now it's time for you to either fix it yourself or wait for somebody else to fix it. In the mean time, let's move on to more constructive pursuits.

No, you have not agreed to fix it yet, why would I concede.

I still hate George Bush, I just don't give up that easily....
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.
 
Posts: 3,428 | Thanked: 2,848 times | Joined on Jul 2008
#9
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Reggie, please help me understand. Seriously....


At ITT you had multiple themes, why is it now suddenly way more work to continue the status quo, now that you have more people behind the site, it would seem to me to be easier to maintain.

What specifically it the adverse reaction to the themes.
This is my confusion...

I get that maemo.org merged to iTT.. ok, great, fantastic.

I get that some people like the new theme and want it by default (especially for new users).. ok, great, fantastic.

What I don't get is that we already had an iTT theme running before this theme, it's already built, already made, what's the problem with simply allowing a person, should they so choose, to select "original iTT theme" in the theme selection box? Nobody needs to make anything, or pay anyone. Unless that theme got deleted?

Did the forum software change to a non-compatible version? I see this is powered by vBulletin... I *know* that has extremely simple theme support for it.. was it not vBulletin before?? (I never paid attention).

I've been somewhat out of the loop for a bit.. but every so often I try and catch up on here but I am finding it difficult to with this new layout. I'm sure people love it, I know people put a lot of effort into it, and that's great... but much like the OS X theme(s) for Mac - this is just not my cup of tea.

There's even entire vbulletin forums with free themes available.. why do we need something custom?? *any* other option(s) beside the default, or minimalistic. Although, I think I'm preferring minimalistic.. except that it's - well - minimal in functionality.
__________________
If I've helped you or you use any of my packages feel free to help me out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintaining:
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Jaffa's Avatar
Posts: 2,531 | Thanked: 6,638 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
#10
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I would use my Role as council member to get more people involved,
Such as asking people to create themes and scratch their own itch? (I admit the positions are getting entrenched, but you're not helping either)

and keep people more informed. I realize that you all have lots of information flying everywhere, but it is not organized nor easy to find.
Is this going back to the council homepage being a one-stop shop for community information? The council homepage links to planet.maemo.org and maemo.org/news/; and I don't expect everyone to come to us for news. Instead, we try to make sure that all appropriate places are being kept in the loop - whilst trying to keep collaboration contained in a single space.

For the concrete example of exactly how this was successfully done for exactly what the new theme would look like across maemo.org (including talk.maemo.org), see Tim's post on one of the myriad of other threads on this topic.
__________________
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:58.