I'm looking to upgrade my phone to a Blackberry, probably the Pearl, and I would like to tether my n810 with it. I'd rather not pay for the full verizon tethering plan, but I found this:

http://mobishark.com/

It seems to promise blackberry tethering without the extra fees. Has anyone had experience with this?

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ Chicago
Well I also so have both the N810 and a BB Curve 8330 with Sprint and the plan I have has tethering included u should switch phone companies, Sprint is cheaper than everyone, plus the speed I get with the tethering isnt bad at all I live here in Chicago, I also do my video calling and people say that I come in pretty clear.

I would switch over in a second if I didn't have so long left on my contract... Also I'm on my families plan =\.

Out of curiosity, what plan do you have?

Also, could someone with a blackberry try the trial of that program and report back if it works or not?

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
Hi OpnSrcAddict,
The Blackberry Pearl does not have the DUN bluetooth profile required to communicate with the N810 as a modem I believe. The only Blackberry that does this on Verizon's network is the Storm. I recently just upgraded to the Storm from the LG Dare because the Storm has the DUN profile needed for tethering with the N810 (also costs an additional $15 on top of the $29.99 for unlimited blackberry data, and is still $15 cheaper than going straight up mobile broadband connect), and is the only Blackberry on Verizon's network that is EVDO rev.A. Unless you completely object to the storm, a lot of people do, I would recommend that device to you. Or if you want to go the non-smartphone route, try the LG Dare or Versa. They are the only non-smart phones with Verizon that have high speed EVDO rev.A data. If you need a phone, I have a one year old LG Dare for sale that works beautifully with the N810 for modem use. Let me know, and good luck.

Joe

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by joeD View Post
Hi OpnSrcAddict,
The Blackberry Pearl does not have the DUN bluetooth profile required to communicate with the N810 as a modem I believe. The only Blackberry that does this on Verizon's network is the Storm.

Joe
I have been tethering my N810 to a BB8830 on VZW with no problems. I pay the $15 tethering fee.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
oh cool. I didn't know that the 8830 had bluetooth DUN. I stand corrected, and now I wonder what other BB's from Verizon have DUN. Thanks for the info and clearing that up for the thread.

regards,
Joe

Thanks for the suggestions, I really would like to get a Dare or Storm sometime soon... My boss has a storm he would like to get rid of.

What I'm wondering though is if there are any shortcuts that I can take to avoid paying those extra fees. I'm a high school student working part time, $60 a month is a bit steep for me. The $30 for the regular BB plan would be better, but I'm wondering if I can use this app to bypass the tethering fee. Thanks for the suggestions on the EVDO rev. A!

There are ways to get around the fees.. I get free DUN internet access for my notebook with my Env2 on verizon. You just have to change some system settings in the phone. I'm not sure how to do it on your phones... But.. it CAN be done. If you get an Env2 it's reeeallllyy easy to perform the hack in the system menu.

DUN SOULD ALWAS BE INCLUDED WITH "UNLIMITED DATA".. screw u verizon!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Here's a relevant link to the thread on Howard Forums about "All Things Tethering" pertaining to Verizon.

http://207.210.82.131/showthread.php?t=1486058

This one is also helpful, it explains what is billable and what isn't:

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1348470