Active Topics

Poll: Which device would fit your mobile device use-case more ?
Poll Options
Which device would fit your mobile device use-case more ?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Considering the recent purported leaks on the N900 specifications, I'd like to ask you folks a simple question. What sort of device would you prefer ? I'm not really interested in why the 'other' choice sucks. I'm just curious of the use-case of people on the forums. Disclaimer - I have no clue about Nokia's upcoming Maemo devces. I'm not speculating what they might or might not have, I made two constructs of which I'm asking you to pick one you like more.

Both devices would sport the OMAP3, have wifi+bt, accelerometers, GPS, microSD + 32G internal flash, I'm just listing the differences.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
A device that actually betters the N800. The CPU, amount of RAM and the phone function are all excellent but some things are just evidently a downgrade. But, that said, I do need a new phone anyway and one running Maemo would be awesome either way...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Arrgghhh!

What does "3G data only" mean?

T-mobile doesn't have UMTS/HSPA where I live yet, so I'm stuck with EDGE (technically EDGE is 3G, but nobody considers it so). Data only -- including EDGE -- would be fine. UMTS/HSPA data only wouldn't do me near so much good.

Honestly, it's a toss-up if EDGE is out, but a clear win for the Big Ugly Tech Tablet if EDGE is in. So I guess I'll vote for it...

EDIT: Ok, EDGE is not an issue -- SD69 just pointed me at a rollout timetable, and I should have 3G sometime in Q3. BUTT definitely wins.

Last edited by Benson; 2009-05-25 at 21:01.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
All of the above in the N800/810 format plus a SIM reader for pay as you go data over cell. It also must run an OS that has useful free, and low cost apps already available with more being developed everyday.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I'd take either if I got it under the Maemo 5 'developer/engaged user' device program....

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What I need is two devices:

1.) a very small, very lightweight phone i carry with me all the time. it has to be sturdy and cheap, so i'm not afraid of losing or damaging it. - it's nice if it plays a few tricks as low-end, non N-series S60 phones do, but this is secondary. the only real technical "must" is a fast internet connection, a decent browser and a way to read and write mails.

2.) a device that has a larger screen for surfing, watching videos, chatting etc. - it needn't exactly be pocketable in terms of tight jeans, but should be smaller than a netbook. (like the N810, it should fit the pockets of my jacket or most of my shirts.) i'll use it at home most of the time and if i take it outside, it's only for longer train rides, a weekend with friends or holidays.

my phones usually fit #1
the 770/N800/N810 was a perfect #2

i can't see what a 180g, 3.5" screen device would be good for.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
i went for the second one - but to be honest, why would you cripple it with 'data-only', i want a big screen with a good battery AND voice

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What I need is two devices:

1.) a very small, very lightweight phone...

2.) a device that has a larger screen for surfing...
Wouldn't it be cool to have a modular device where the "phone" part slid in and out of a larger "tablet," making them one in the same device when they were "connected"? Wow...

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to have a modular device where the "phone" part slid in and out of a larger "tablet," making them one in the same device when they were "connected"? Wow...

Tim
i've considered doing something like that with the thinnest bt phone i could find and mounting it on the slim part of the n800 on the battery cover.... but... i didnt...

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post

Tim
Yes, I think there's still a frontier out there for this kind of thinking. There's not enough modularity as far as I'm concerned. I would like to be able to remove just the keyboard on my n810, for example.

Tags
nokia sucks monkey balls, poll