Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Hey all,

I owned an N800 and now I own the N810. It was fine for a while, but now it seems to have some kind of memory bug. I have the Load Applet installed so I can view system processes and what not.

Here's the issue:
If I leave my device on for long periods of time, either plugged in to the power or not, and if I come back to it, it lags horrifically until I go into the Load Applet and kill the hildon-desktop process. Before I do that, it shows the memory use at around 75-81MB and when I kill it, it jumps back down to about 15-19MB and starts running perfectly.

So, any ideas as to what's going on?

Jesse~

Last edited by jperez2009; 2009-05-31 at 00:47.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
...it lags horrifically until I go into the Load Applet and kill the hildon-desktop process. Before I do that, it shows the memory use at around 75-81MB and when I kill it, it jumps back down to about 15-19MB and starts running perfectly.
All desktop and status applets run within hildon-desktop. Misbehaving applets will crash the desktop causing it to reset. Applets with memory leaks will likely cause what you're seeing.

Disable all the applets you've added, then add them back one at a time, running your walk-away-for-awhile-and-check-memory-use-when-you-come-back test for each. Hopefully, you'll be able to identify which applet is eating memory.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Yep, you were right.

I found out that OM Weather has a memory leak in it. Time to let the developer know. I was thinking it was a certain program I installed, but I didn't know for sure which one, but I also didn't know applets were part of the hildon-desktop process. That helped me out a lot. This will help me out in the future for debugging memory leaks in other programs.

You're an asset to the community for helping out. Thanks again! ^_^

Jesse~