Active Topics

Given that Google SMS only works on the web-based chat now, what is the best way to use the service?

I've been using epiphany and iceweasel via easy debian. However, this solution is not ideal because i'm using an n800 so i have to hassle with toggling the software keyboard, which covers the chat window so i cant see what i am typing. Both browsers are very slow.

Is there a way to get the default browser/tear/midori to run the web-based version of google talk?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
What is Google SMS? Some US-only stuff?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
What is Google SMS? Some US-only stuff?
For now, yes.

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
Given that Google SMS only works on the web-based chat now, what is the best way to use the service?

I've been using epiphany and iceweasel via easy debian. However, this solution is not ideal because i'm using an n800 so i have to hassle with toggling the software keyboard, which covers the chat window so i cant see what i am typing. Both browsers are very slow.

Is there a way to get the default browser/tear/midori to run the web-based version of google talk?
You could try dialcentral. It has SMS support now (you need to manually refresh though).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Dialcentral needs a Google Voice account. Poor people who don't have one...

Seriously though, Google Voice is the easiest and best way.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Oh for some reason I thought Google SMS was part of Google Voice. Nevermind.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Right now I just use modest mail client(with IMAP gmail). You can send free SMS via email to any phone. They can send it back to you if they just hit reply.They can save where they sent it. They don't need Data service to send.
but when GV comes out that will be my solution for a lot of tasks like that.
Here are the email address ending for all cell phone services. (don't put the "1" before area code.

--Forwarded Message Attachment--

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

Att: phonenumber@txt.att.net

thanks guys - i'd really like to see if i can get Google SMS working so that i dont need to remember/ask what network people are on maybe i'll try fennec

Ok, an update....

Fennec is turd... i cant even open gmail without my tablet randomly rebooting, i also cant click checkboxes - it just selects the checkbox item... i have to press spacebar to actually tick it

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
Right now I just use modest mail client(with IMAP gmail). You can send free SMS via email to any phone. They can send it back to you if they just hit reply.They can save where they sent it. They don't need Data service to send.
but when GV comes out that will be my solution for a lot of tasks like that.
Here are the email address ending for all cell phone services. (don't put the "1" before area code.

--Forwarded Message Attachment--

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

Att: phonenumber@txt.att.net
I tried this...it's perfect when I sent sprint phone a text...but when I reply from my phone...nothing happen.