Reply
Thread Tools
qgil's Avatar
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,062 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
#31
the problem with first come first served is that the awareness of the Summmit and even Maemo is changing every month significantly. I would accept the clear candidates in July or even later as they come but still leave chances for late submissions. Also because lightning sessions are a way to accommodate interesting proposals that by no means fit as 30' sessions anymore in a full schedule.

Also, deadline for submissions on the 3rd of July and then 20 days to start having approved sessions? Isn't this a bit old school? I don't see any problem in approving clear proposals asap as they come, decline the clear weak candidates also asap and have a bunch of proposals in the limbo waiting to see if they end up in the schedule or not, depending on whether stronger proposals arrive later or not.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 673 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
#32
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
the problem with first come first served is that the awareness of the Summmit and even Maemo is changing every month significantly. I would accept the clear candidates in July or even later as they come but still leave chances for late submissions. Also because lightning sessions are a way to accommodate interesting proposals that by no means fit as 30' sessions anymore in a full schedule.
You have a point. We can drop "first come first served" and give ourselves maximum flexibility.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Also, deadline for submissions on the 3rd of July and then 20 days to start having approved sessions? Isn't this a bit old school? I don't see any problem in approving clear proposals asap as they come, decline the clear weak candidates also asap and have a bunch of proposals in the limbo waiting to see if they end up in the schedule or not, depending on whether stronger proposals arrive later or not.
Again, you have a point. However, choosing content by committee means that maybe there won't be that many automatic "Yes" or automatic "No" proposals. It's not as easy as when you have one person deciding

In general I agree with the point, though - there's no need to make people wait any longer than necessary.

Cheers,
Dave.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
qgil's Avatar
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,062 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
#33
We need to define the shape of the schedule in order to have an idea of the slots available.

What about

9.00 Doors open.

10.00 - 13.00 Sessions. The default setting is one-to-many sessions of 25' + 5' break in 3 tracks. Some exceptions can swap 2 slots in a 55' session. Keynote sessions with no parallel tracks are placed at the beginning of the morning.

13.00 - 14.30 Lunch

14.30 - 15.30 Lightning sessions, 5' each.

15.30 - 18.00 Sessions, with a preference to more interactive and informal settings. 25' or more. Always several tracks. Feeling that it's ok to miss a 30' slot to go for a coffee and chat with colleagues outside.

At what time would the official schedule end on Sunday? 18h might be too late for many having to go back to their homes.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
timsamoff's Avatar
Super Moderator | Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,595 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
#34
OT: Save some food for presenters.

Tim
__________________
http://samoff.com
 

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
VDVsx's Avatar
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
#35
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
We need to define the shape of the schedule in order to have an idea of the slots available.

What about

9.00 Doors open.

10.00 - 13.00 Sessions. The default setting is one-to-many sessions of 25' + 5' break in 3 tracks. Some exceptions can swap 2 slots in a 55' session. Keynote sessions with no parallel tracks are placed at the beginning of the morning.

13.00 - 14.30 Lunch

14.30 - 15.30 Lightning sessions, 5' each.

15.30 - 18.00 Sessions, with a preference to more interactive and informal settings. 25' or more. Always several tracks. Feeling that it's ok to miss a 30' slot to go for a coffee and chat with colleagues outside.

At what time would the official schedule end on Sunday? 18h might be too late for many having to go back to their homes.
Looks good, for Sunday, we can try something similar:

Morning - similar to Saturday

14:15/14:30 - 15.30 Lightning sessions, 5' each. (depending on the number of submissions)

15:30 - 16:30 - Final session, discussion about the future of maemo and the community or the suggested panel.
__________________
Valério Valério
www.valeriovalerio.org
 
VDVsx's Avatar
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
#36
Updated version of the Call for contents (wiki version):

******************
The Maemo community invites you to participate in the second Maemo Summit in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, from October 9th to October 11th 2009. The core themes of the conference will be Fremantle and Harmattan; the forthcoming and future releases of the Maemo platform.

The Maemo community invites talks, lightning presentations and BOFs in three main tracks:

* Users: Presentations for people who want to get the most out of their Maemo-based hardware, or who are interested in contributing to the Maemo community.
* Application developers: Developers who want to take the platform as it is, and use it to make useful stuff. (Not sure about this one. Seems a little fragmented. Can't think of something better at the moment, leave it with me).
* Platform developers: Hardcore hackers working on the Maemo platform or one of its components.

We are asking for two types of submissions:

* 30 minute long presentations, BOFs or workgroup sessions.
* 5 minute long lightning talks.

We invite people to submit a short description of the session they would like to give, including the talk title, intended audience, a short description, a short biographical note (1 or 2 sentences) and contact details of the presenter(s). This information should be added to the Maemo wiki at (give url). Instructions for submitting proposals can be found at htt://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2009/Proposals

We also welcome proposals for 5 minute lightning talks which will be held each day during the conference.

The deadline for submissions is Friday July 3rd, 2009.

Successful candidates will be selected and notified by the organizing committee until July 24th, 2009.

******************

Changelog

* Added Baloo suggestions
* Removed "first come first served"
* Changed "...organizing committee by July 24th, 2009. ." to "...organizing committee until July 24th, 2009." (Maybe later ???)
__________________
Valério Valério
www.valeriovalerio.org
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
VDVsx's Avatar
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
#37
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Also, deadline for submissions on the 3rd of July and then 20 days to start having approved sessions? Isn't this a bit old school? I don't see any problem in approving clear proposals asap as they come, decline the clear weak candidates also asap and have a bunch of proposals in the limbo waiting to see if they end up in the schedule or not, depending on whether stronger proposals arrive later or not.
The only problem with your approach, is that it might cause false expectations to the candidates waiting in the limbo. The selection process must be well explained in order to avoid that issue.
__________________
Valério Valério
www.valeriovalerio.org
 
qgil's Avatar
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,062 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
#38
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
The only problem with your approach, is that it might cause false expectations to the candidates waiting in the limbo. The selection process must be well explained in order to avoid that issue.
It's nobody's interest to have sessions in the limbo, and if a session looks really weak/off-topic we can discard it asap.

The hard deadline on July 3rd also looks unrealistic, specially compared to the casual setting we had last year. I understand some of you want something with more structure but closing the call for papers 4,5 months before the event sounds almost like an academic convention or a business fair.

Proposal to reword this:

The submissions received will be reviewed periodically by the content committee starting on July 5th. Sessions approved will be communicated to the speakers and published in a draft schedule asap.

The final deadline for submissions will be September 13th but the sooner you submit your proposal the better chances you will have to get a slot.

The final schedule will be published on that week.
July 5th and September 13th because they are Sundays and people tend to do a lot of weekend work when submitting proposals in these kind of events. You avoid any timezone misinterpretations looking at whatever has been received before Monday morning European time.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
#39
Will there be USERS indeed or is that wishful thinking?
 
qgil's Avatar
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,062 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
#40
We expect to have users, indeed. This is why one track should be dedicated to them, and this is why cool sessions for users and even BY users are welcome.

Apart from engaged users from the current Maemo community we should expect also pure tablet users and even Linux desktop users from Amsterdam and surroundings (note that there are many countries and cities only 200-300km away) interested in Maemo 5.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
summit

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:33.