Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Proposal to the Maemo community: agree on the merchandising and marketing swag you want for maemo.org, make an estimation of the cost and, if reasonable, we will include it in the Summit budget.

Shirts, stickers, anything else?

To be given in the event, and other distribution means to reach great contributors not able to attend?

Design work or competition?

Think that this would be the 2009 shot for merchandising. Let's discuss and agree on something. If we can have a rough rough estimate in 10 days all the better because we are defining the big boxes of the Summit budget.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
I will definitely buy a sticker and a shirt (unless they cost as much as @ concerts )

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Can I go out on a limb and suggest that at least a t-shirt be given to 'outstanding contributors' even if they can't make it?

I know from the last summit that there were a lot of t-shirts 'waiting' for new homes, please spread the love (with a little postage and packaging) to the non-attendee's. I'm still waiting for my Danish Mozilla t-shirt with no real hope.

Outside of that, t-shirts are the main swag, bags next (a good record-type bag would be ace), usb-key's are like socks, rarely are they happily received as a present but there's always a use for them.

(goes without saying a hardware giveaway would be the best course of action).

Last edited by Baloo; 2009-06-11 at 21:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
there were recently fun little competitions for maemo mascots and of course your council uniforms.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=96

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28965

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I just want a "Fixed in Fremantle" T-shirt.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Nice stylish t-shirts with the maemo.org logo on (perhaps less large than last year == more discrete == more likely to be worn in public ;-)).

Perhaps see if we can get them in a grey close the header above, with the white & orange logo on the breast? I don't think there's a need for a big design competition for them: there's enough to do without organising one.

Stickers: fine, but my son's laptop is the only one which get adorned.

Perhaps a USB adapter/cable for OTG host? Or if not, a shop selling them on site, along with other cool hard hacks.

I think a t-shirt's the only essential item, but things somehow related to Maemo rather than the standard conference stuff would be good. I was at a rather larger conference last week and they gave out anti-bacterial alcohol hand gel (norovirus outbreak the year before). Do not recommend ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Nice stylish t-shirts with the maemo.org logo on (perhaps less large than last year == more discrete == more likely to be worn in public ;-)).

Perhaps see if we can get them in a grey close the header above, with the white & orange logo on the breast? I don't think there's a need for a big design competition for them: there's enough to do without organising one.

Stickers: fine, but my son's laptop is the only one which get adorned.

Perhaps a USB adapter/cable for OTG host? Or if not, a shop selling them on site, along with other cool hard hacks.

I think a t-shirt's the only essential item, but things somehow related to Maemo rather than the standard conference stuff would be good. I was at a rather larger conference last week and they gave out anti-bacterial alcohol hand gel (norovirus outbreak the year before). Do not recommend ;-)
You can't refuse a usb hub or storage key though

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
You can't refuse a usb hub or storage key though
I've got a tiny, nice little 1GB USB stick from work; got a Sun-branded physically larger 1GB USB stick last week, and also a 2GB JavaFX one at the same size.

I also got a rather stylish & natty little fold-away 4-port hub.

So, no - I can't refuse them: I just don't know what to do with them! :-/

A quick Google suggests that a 1,000 (too many, but this is the price) 1GB branded drives would come to nearly £5,000. I'd rather sponsor a couple more people, or have a large beer tab :-)

EDIT: Or a live band (playing recognisable rock/pop tunes) at a party. For example, World Classic Rockers (better than I expected) at JavaOne. Probably more than £5k tho!

Last edited by chemist; 2013-07-05 at 11:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Perhaps a USB adapter/cable for OTG host?
Seconded!

Or if not, a shop selling them on site, along with other cool hard hacks.
If the logistics do not complicate things too much, it'd be good to also be able to buy t-shirts etc on site. I know SWMBO would like one, and if we can stretch the sponsorship budget to include a few more people why not?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think some kind of branded carrying case for any/all of the devices would be nice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
summit