Notices

Just got the 810 and am trying to get a flash drive to work with it. Downloaded usb controller but when I go to extras and tap on it, nothing happens. Any suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to denismcd For This Useful Post:
Hello world,

I have exactly same problem as the above user. Nothing happens when I try to open USBControl from Extras. I'm running OS2008 on N800. I tried installing from various repos etc. and I even tried maemo-control-usb but that gives me "module insertion failed".

Please someone tell us if there is some magical trick you have to do to get this to work!

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by denismcd View Post
Just got the 810 and am trying to get a flash drive to work with it. Downloaded usb controller but when I go to extras and tap on it, nothing happens. Any suggestions?
Run python2.5 `which usbcontrol` and post its output here.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Run python2.5 `which usbcontrol` and post its output here.
I dunno about the N810 but i get "/usr/bin/usbcontrol"

Fred

I'm also having the same issue. Just purchased the n810 last week.

I download usbcontrol and I click on it to open under my applications and it does nothing.

Tried rebooting, unisntalling re-installing, tried the download from maemo downloads, from the appication downloader, all same result.

Hope someone can find a fix for this soon as it would be a useful feature I could take advantage of

Ok, I was having the same problem and I posted a thread too, not knowing about this one. Nonetheless I think I figured it out. Usb control isn't working but you can do this:
Download maemo-control-usb:

Search for it exactly like it is spelled in the download page of this site.

It is better to save it to the device, then open it in the file manager.

Then, download usb-otg-plugin:

Link: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...elease_id=1473

Just click on the file in the pink highlighted area.

Once you have installed everything you will notice a usb symbol at the top of the device. Plug your drive in and then click on the symbol. In the drop down menu, click USB UTG host mode. It will say that the drive is not recognized, but just ignore it. If you go to file manager, you will find your drive in all its glory. Exciting, huh. Good luck.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tmac20031 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tmac20031 View Post
Ok, I was having the same problem and I posted a thread too, not knowing about this one. Nonetheless I think I figured it out. Usb control isn't working but you can do this:

Once you have installed everything you will notice a usb symbol at the top of the device. Plug your drive in and then click on the symbol. In the drop down menu, click USB UTG host mode. It will say that the drive is not recognized, but just ignore it. If you go to file manager, you will find your drive in all its glory. Exciting, huh. Good luck.

hey, thanks so much for that, works like a dream.
I used to have it working on chinook via the old messy way of swapping files about via emelFM2 etc but couldn't get it to work under diablo.

this is simple and elegant too. nice one, cheers!

Originally Posted by tmac20031 View Post

you, my friend, are the f'n man.

tmac20031 : you just saved my day. thank you so much, this alternative works like a charm on my n800.

Fred

No problem guys. I was just as excited when I figured it out after a few hours pulling my hair out. I did it this way though because it seems better than usb control that requires you open a program(when it works). This is more convenient and I suggest it to everybody. Later.

P.S. If you want this feature to watch videos, the suggested conversion is 400x240. 128 Kb/s audio and I think 768 Kb/s video works. FormatFactory 1.9 is a pretty good free video converter.