Active Topics

Notices

"Yahoo! appears to be upgrading their servers to a new version of their software. This new version requires a new authentication method. The latest version of Pidgin, 2.5.6, does not support this new authentication method. The next version, 2.6.0, will, but it has not yet been released. Version 2.5.7 does. To continue using Yahoo! IM, upgrade to this version. See the Pidgin web-site for details."
Quote from FAQs Pidgin
http://www.celticwolf.com/useful-inf...6-pidgin-yahoo

We have the 2.5.1 version which it won't work anymore on Yahoo IM upgraded servers.

I tried their solution, using that list of IPs but with no luck..
So Is this like the end of pidgin on maemo?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I typed "yahoo pidgin" into the search box on the forums and came up with these two threads:

Pidgin and RTComm Problem
Pidgin, dead?

They answer your question.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2009 @ Pennsylvania
I was wondering the same thing myself. I have been dealing with the connection problem since the 18th of June on my N810 and 4 other machines. This problem is not just pidgin specific even though the new version fixes this issue. It affects any non-official clients except for the new version of pidgin. My first post on this issue:

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/in...2&#entry272192

Anyway, I run Archlinux on the desktop and the current version of pidgin fixes these issues but I use Centerim on that machine. I think I will look and see if there is a version of the new pidgin release that I can compile for the N810.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to comhack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Pensacola, FL
We definitely need someone to port the newest version of Pidgin to Maemo.

Trying to change the server that the messenger logs in to isn't really a solution to this problem, but more like a patch.

Even the native Chat program for the N810 needs the upgrade.

I think if either Pidgin or the Chat gets updated to the latest IM protocols, we would all be happy.

Simply changing the address the server connects to no longer works. That was a temporary fix while not all of the servers were upgraded. As of about 5pm pacific yesterday, the last of the servers were upgraded.

Someone had compiled 2.5.5 for maemo, and discussed it on a forum, after ICQ had changed. We can dig that up and compile 2.5.7. When that happens, we need to get the packages into the repository.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Simply changing the address the server connects to no longer works. That was a temporary fix while not all of the servers were upgraded. As of about 5pm pacific yesterday, the last of the servers were upgraded.

Someone had compiled 2.5.5 for maemo, and discussed it on a forum, after ICQ had changed. We can dig that up and compile 2.5.7. When that happens, we need to get the packages into the repository.
You only really need the upgrade for Yahoo protocol. This is probably some kind of libpurple library.

BTW, this bug also exists in Ubuntu, and there is still no reliability fix as of yet.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Yup, Pidgin still dead for yahoo on the N810 - the Windows version seems to work well though.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Simply dropping in the libpurple files will get you connected, BUT causes new issues. Due to other changes, when you run the newer libpurple with older pidgin, it never sees the people as going offline. I already tested that. Is the case even if you just drop in the yahoo library.

Need to do everything if we do anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hellmark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
BTW, this bug also exists in Ubuntu, and there is still no reliability fix as of yet.
yes there is

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
There's a ticket out on the maemo pidgin port about yahoo not working

https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...=278&atid=1106

If the developers don't have time right now maybe someone else can pick up the ball.

Tags
pidgin, yahoo.