Active Topics

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Qualcomm Snapdragon ARM based netbooks and mids, see video.
http://www.hellosmartbook.com/index.html
http://www.qctconnect.com/products/snapdragon.html

And they are hiring Linux Engineers to work on the operating system.
http://jobs.qualcomm.com/staffing/St...&reqid=1836536

Things are looking better all the time.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
that seems to be a great, awesome really, but in what ways does it benefit us as tablet users...

is the program something that can be ported to exciting tablets?

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
"Meet the smartbooks.

- Hello! I'm a generic student! I spend all my day typing random words in "Flitter ©" I can't even reach home without changing my facebook status! I'm so cool with my brand new smartbook!

-Heya, I'm generic business gal. My working hours are over but I'm still working! It's so awesome with new smartbooks. Now I can stare at the useless photorealistic rendering of some weird navigation, that doesn't show map and ignore my boring husband.

-Howdy, I'm generic cowboy's wife. Now I can chat with all my girlfriends and discuss latest sales in one huge conference call while my husband is driving! That would annoy him so much, perfect! By the way, he's so dumb that he can't even know how to assemble a tent but he's wearing a hat and shades to look like mature camper. Oh my oh my.

-Hi, we are generic mature campers! We're sitting on the top of generic hill a thousand miles away from home and actually browsing The Internet! With brand new smartbooks we can do it 365 days a year, it's so perfectly awesome!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
So, what's the difference between a smartbook and a netbook?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
So, what's the difference between a smartbook and a netbook?
I'm thinkin' "netbooks" are desktop/laptop down devices. Light weight travelers that are productivity app centric.

"Smartbooks" seem to be connectivity centric devices that allow a user to maintain their social graph or internet based social networks when away from the desktop/laptop.

I'm also thinkin' I want some of what wazd is chewin'.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-07-26 at 02:26. Reason: Wrong their, there :)

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
"Meet the smartbooks.

- Hello! I'm a generic student! I spend all my day typing random words in "Flitter ©" I can't even reach home without changing my facebook status! I'm so cool with my brand new smartbook!

-Heya, I'm generic business gal. My working hours are over but I'm still working! It's so awesome with new smartbooks. Now I can stare at the useless photorealistic rendering of some weird navigation, that doesn't show map and ignore my boring husband.

-Howdy, I'm generic cowboy's wife. Now I can chat with all my girlfriends and discuss latest sales in one huge conference call while my husband is driving! That would annoy him so much, perfect! By the way, he's so dumb that he can't even know how to assemble a tent but he's wearing a hat and shades to look like mature camper. Oh my oh my.

-Hi, we are generic mature campers! We're sitting on the top of generic hill a thousand miles away from home and actually browsing The Internet! With brand new smartbooks we can do it 365 days a year, it's so perfectly awesome!"

...and scene!..

I love seeing funny post dude, and that was the best non visual reenactment I've read lol...

I wish i knew the "difference" between the smartbook an netbook, but if its the same as netbook and tiny laptop then that doesn't say much. I thought they were tryin to market the smartbook until "generic business gal" { i think } wips out what looks to be the snap dragon "phone/device" using the same software.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalladin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I'm thinkin' "netbooks" are desktop/laptop down devices. Light weight travelers that are productivity app centric.

"Smartbooks" seem to be connectivity centric devices that allow a user to maintain there social graph or internet based social networks when away from the desktop/laptop.
so its just the tablets all over again but with better advertising ( not really though, i guess just more advertising ).

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
so its just the tablets all over again but with better advertising ( not really though, i guess just more advertising ).
Tablets and Netbooks aren't in the same category... so if a smartbook is tablet size, then that's the difference between a smartbook and a netbook. If a smartbook is netbook sized, then it's nothing like "tablets all over again", IMO.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
In the video the only handheld device was a smartphone that said it can transfer stuff to smartbook.

"Look for smartbooks in all of their forms–from larger, sub-notebook designs to compact, touch-screen tablets and beyond–beginning fall 2009." "Less than 2 lbs." "Under 20mm thick."

So I'm assuming smartbook is significantly bigger than smartphone.

Last edited by Jobester; 2009-07-26 at 02:20.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
lets just say that things are moving towards some kind of convergence, and just about every established tech company is doing their best to be the one of top afterwards...