Active Topics

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Does the Nokia 3.5 mm audio 4-pole jack plug have the same connections as the Apple 3.5 mm audio 4-pole jack plug used on MacBook Pros.

I'm beginning to resent the number of headsets I own and have to drag around with me.

And please don't say "Bluetooth" - I have not had good experiences with that.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by dormant View Post
Does the Nokia 3.5 mm audio 4-pole jack plug have the same connections as the Apple 3.5 mm audio 4-pole jack plug used on MacBook Pros.

I'm beginning to resent the number of headsets I own and have to drag around with me.

And please don't say "Bluetooth" - I have not had good experiences with that.
The Nokia jack is a standard jack. I don't know about the MacBook Pros. If you want to reduce the number of headsets and peripherals you use, then I recommend that you stay away from Apple products which historically tend to use proprietary ports and connectors.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I wouldn't call the Nokia jack a "standard".

The only companies I know who do 4-pole jacks are Nokia and Apple.

Both are compatible with the standard 3-pole jack.
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
The Nokia 4-pole jack is NOT wired the same as the Apple. If you use a Nokia headset with a MacBook (and I assume MBPro) the headset will sound muted and in mono, unless you press the button - then it reverts to normal. The same happens when using Apple (or iPod compatible) 4-pole headsets with the N810.

As far as I'm concerned, the Nokia uses accepted "standard" wiring, while the Apple is wired in a "proprietary" way.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I wouldn't call the Nokia jack a "standard".

The only companies I know who do 4-pole jacks are Nokia and Apple.

Both are compatible with the standard 3-pole jack.
By standard, I mean technical standard and not "commonly used".

http://www.cosjwt.com/blog/electrica...onnectors.html

The Nokia jack also works with Axim and some other audio devices. I have no idea about Apple's jacks (except that I prefer Cheerios).

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
I have a blackberry curve 8320 and nokia n800 an excellent combination for tethering. Both use 3.5 stereo voice jacks and are not compatible. Ordinary headphones will work in either.
The iphone compatible headset vmoda duo works fine with the blackberry but not with the n800.
I seem to experience difficulty with how each has wired the interrupt switch for call vs headphone. vmoda in n800 does not deliver stereo unless i press the switch on the microphone. n800 headset in the blackberry interfers with the music player by causing it to continuously pause.

Forgot to mention that the vmoda headset works fine with my dell laptop as a headset.

Thanks all. I now understand things.

Why can't the world be simpler?
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Thanks all. I now understand things.

Why can't the world be simpler?
less markup on accessories if it was...

Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I have a blackberry curve 8320 and nokia n800 an excellent combination for tethering. Both use 3.5 stereo voice jacks and are not compatible.
Huh? I have a BB curve 8310 and N800 and I'm pretty sure I used the BB supplied earphones/mic in both and it works fine. I never tried the button though. I don't use it that often though... Maybe I'm hearing them through the headphones and they're hearing me though the mic on the N800...