Looking at the numbers, Nokia sells about 40 - 50% of all smartphones with about 15 - 20 million smartphones sold per quarter.

Android had something like 3% of the smartphone market in the last quarter, so it's there but it's a much smaller number of sales.

Putting it simply, if just one in ten Nokia smartphones sold next quarter is an N900, then Maemo would already be outselling Android (assuming sales shares stay as they are now in the short term).

One in ten Nokia smartphones isn't as unrealistic as it sounds, the Nokia 5800 (the first touchscreen S60 device) sells about 3 million a quarter so it makes up about one in five Nokia smartphone sales. The N900 would have to sell about half as well as the 5800 to reach one in ten.

Even if it didn't reach such sales figures, the N900 is probably just the start and should be joined by other Maemo models next year with varying specs and prices. It's conceivable that Maemo would eventually take over the Nseries range which would mean one in three Nokia smartphones.

Is there any other computing device that comes with Linux preinstalled which sells in anything close to these numbers?

(A year ago I would have mentioned Asus and Acer but they seem to have gone over entirely to Windows.)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Is there any other computing device that comes with Linux preinstalled which sells in anything close to these numbers?
Most of linux-out-of-the-factory machines sold are embedded devices (set-top boxes, routers, Tivo, DVR, etc), so it depends whether you count those or not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
it will be a big seller for nokia, why? because most of the s60 users (myself inc.) wants it lol, maemo here we come

The Following User Says Thank You to biggzy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
Yes the regular Nokia phones are quite limited as concerns other features than phone, contacts and a few more. I will stay on the fence for a while though. The E51 works fine and I use the N810 as a portable web browsing device mostly at home. So until one of the two dies I am quite happy.

I seriously doubt it. Between GPS units, Tivos, all sorts of embedded devices, netbooks and desktop PC rollouts, there is a lot of competition for #1 linux device, which is a very good thing!

The Following User Says Thank You to drizek For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
I seriously doubt it. Between GPS units, Tivos, all sorts of embedded devices, netbooks and desktop PC rollouts, there is a lot of competition for #1 linux device, which is a very good thing!
Fair enough on the embedded thing, maybe I should have said "best-selling Linux computer", with a computer being something you can install apps on.

I don't know if netbooks and PCs are being sold with Linux any more though... :-( I can't find any shops which sell Linux PCs any more, everything from netbooks to desktops seem to be Windows or Macintosh.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Dell still sells ubuntu netbooks and laptops.

That hardly counts. It's trivial on x86. I could pre-load the distro of choice, could even install OSX on a random laptop, or multi-boot for that matter. Of course, for some reason it's not a popular strategy. Windows is just that hard of a habit to break, I guess. PDAs, NASes and other more exotic hardware is where I think the Linux factor means something. Of course any hardware that doesn't have a BSoD is appreciated.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Possibly, but the Linux kernel is only one part of the whole Maemo ecosystem.