Active Topics

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
I wonder if there any official standard (RFC?) for video calling?
That would be 3GPP TS 22.401 in the context of this thread.

In the IETF (SIP) and XMPP (Jingle) worlds the specs are spread over several documents, but IP video calls do work in Diablo with those protocols if both ends can agree on a matching codec (modulo a relatively minor annoyance with activating the camera for SIP video calls on the N810).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That would be 3GPP TS 22.401 in the context of this thread.

In the IETF (SIP) and XMPP (Jingle) worlds the specs are spread over several documents, but IP video calls do work in Diablo with those protocols if both ends can agree on a matching codec (modulo a relatively minor annoyance with activating the camera for SIP video calls on the N810).
i'm really lost when you guys talk technical stuff =(, maybe i just a type of end user...

The Following User Says Thank You to BaKSo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
Found on the UK N900 promo site:
In :Call Management" : Video calling: availability will be announced later
Same thing on Polish site

This mean official release date or software update?

link: http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...specifications

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kdrozd For This Useful Post:
ok but did they mean by video calling will be announced later meaning that the regular vidoe call or the sip video call like the gizmo which i use in a regular basis to see my wife and the kids back home!? actually the main reason for me to have the n810 is the gizmo application which is sooo cool to chat or vide call where ever or whenever :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to xavi6 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
okay, i just read nokia discussion forum and some people claim that N900 can't do video calling because it can't run 3G and 2G at the same time,

which mean when you making a call you can't browse the internet and can't use 3G service such as Video calling too..

is anyone have any though on this ?

The Following User Says Thank You to BaKSo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
wtf? i dont think i ever haerd that one need to run gsm and umts side by side to make a video call.

still, given this and the mms thing, and nokia blaiming the kernel networking code, i wonder if their choice of radio chip is at fault there. But thats me speculating.

also, i wonder if the launch was a marketing call, based on the leak, upcoming nokia world, oncoming christmas season, and the features being software related at this stage.

in other words, launch now, patch later...

crap, is the phone industry picking up bad habits from the video games industry?

Last edited by tso; 2009-09-09 at 01:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Anyway, what's you use case for that ? You make a video call and then let someone watch you surf ? Not to mention they would see you sideways (as you rotated the N900) and likely obscured by fingers/hands At least think up something more plausible (as checking mail, or sending a file to the person you're talking to).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I have a tm506 hspa phone with T-mobile service. It doesn't support a voice call (using GSM) and data (HSPA) simultaneously. Whereas, using an EVDO phone I could have voice and data concurrently. Is this an inherent issue with HSPA in that it doesn't suport voice calls, therefore the GSM modem has to be switched, in forcing it to drop the data call?

The Following User Says Thank You to viplob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
my understanding is that umts (that hspa builds on) is self-contained from gsm.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Um AFAIK its the reverse, HSPA supports simultaneous data and voice and CDMA (EVDO) does not. 2G GSM phones using Edge or GPRS could not sustain voice and data simultaneously.

Originally Posted by viplob View Post
I have a tm506 hspa phone with T-mobile service. It doesn't support a voice call (using GSM) and data (HSPA) simultaneously. Whereas, using an EVDO phone I could have voice and data concurrently. Is this an inherent issue with HSPA in that it doesn't suport voice calls, therefore the GSM modem has to be switched, in forcing it to drop the data call?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post: