Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Since we all know that the n900 is going to work with only T-mobile USA 3G it is best to know what is the best data plan for the phone.

i have been using the AT&T media net plan at 15$/month to tether my n810.

So is there anything similar with T-mobile?

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/...ab_OtherPhones

Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages for phones $19.95/month*

Get Unlimited Web access, bundled with unlimited domestic messages.

Includes:

* Unlimited Web access
* Unlimited domestic text, picture, e-mail, and instant messages

Do I need unlimited Web access?

Do you consider yourself tech savvy and want regular access to news and information on-the-go? We recommend the unlimited web2go service for frequent Internet users who regularly access the mobile Web to browse their favorite Websites, search for music and videos, and stream videos from YouTube, etc.

Unlimited Web for phones $9.99/month*

Get Unlimited Web access.

T-Mobile Shadow Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages $19.95/month*

Get Unlimited Web access, bundled with unlimited domestic messages.

Includes:

* Unlimited Web access
* Unlimited domestic text, picture, e-mail, and instant messages

Guys who already use T-mobile data please help us choose the right plan if we buy the phone unlocked.

Thanks

Do we really get unlimited web for 9.95$? Or do they just block you after crossing a set value like 1 Gb?

This is because the subsidized phone will have to purchase the unlimited data + 400 messages plan which is 25$ by itself. So 25-10 = 15$ savings per month

If that is the case we can save about 15$ * 24 = 360$ over a 2 year contract.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
T-Mobile usually has the best plans, but they're not THAT good. That plan shown in the link is for certain phones only, in this case the T-Mo Shadow (look toward the left above the price). Also, notice the active tab above is 'Other phones' and there are other tabs for different models. The 'Smartphone' tab is the one that would apply to an unlocked N900.

Currently I think the only choices are $25 for unlimited data, no messages included, or $35 for unlimited data + unlimited messages. I'm on a $25 unlimited data + 400 message plan, but I'm grandfathered in, I don't think it's available for new users. And by 'unlimited' I hear (though I can't prove it) that T-Mo doesn't get nervous 'til you cross the 5GB usage line. That's pretty hard to do with a phone, I've never come anywhere near that with my G1. So, yeah, it's basically, though not totally, 'unlimited. Close enough, I guess.

Still, I've been with T-Mo about 12 years and always gotten as good or better a deal as anyone, never had a messed up bill, always good service. No plans to change.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2009-09-04 at 23:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
What if we dont mention it as a smart phone? Then can we have the 9.95$ plan?
Is there are limit to the unlimited 10$ plan?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
What if we dont mention it as a smart phone? Then can we have the 9.95$ plan?
Is there are limit to the unlimited 10$ plan?
Aw...c'mon...do ya really think T-Mo is that dim?

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
I asked a T-Mobile data question yesterday in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=321263&postcount=8

Are N900 users going to be required to have voice plus data, or does anyone know of a data only plan for just mobile web consumption sans voice. Something like $30-ish per month I would presume.

I haven't spoken to T-mobile directly, but was wondering if anyone knew any details about it. Thanks.

Joe

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Aw...c'mon...do ya really think T-Mo is that dim?
I don't get you...... what if i order the plan online... they will not be able to see what plan i am already on...

Can you please explain what you meant... i ve never used data on t-mobile.

Thanks

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I don't get you...... what if i order the plan online... they will not be able to see what plan i am already on...
Well, like I said, it's a plan for a specific phone, in this case the Shadow - a locked, T-Mo Shadow to be exact. If you have anything else, it doesn't qualify. And obviously, they'll know if you're connecting using a locked phone or not and what model it is.

So, the 'Smartphone' plans are the ones that would apply to an unlocked N900, etc.

Originally Posted by joeD View Post
I asked a T-Mobile data question yesterday in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=321263&postcount=8

Are N900 users going to be required to have voice plus data, or does anyone know of a data only plan for just mobile web consumption sans voice. Something like $30-ish per month I would presume.
You'd have to talk to T-Mo CS to verify this, but I believe you can use a phone without a data plan, but cannot get a data plan without at least a minimal voice plan. I think those start at like $20/mo.

Maybe you could get a deal on data + pay-as-you-go or something. I dunno, I've always been on a contract.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Well, like I said, it's a plan for a specific phone, in this case the Shadow - a locked, T-Mo Shadow to be exact. If you have anything else, it doesn't qualify. And obviously, they'll know if you're connecting using a locked phone or not and what model it is.

So, the 'Smartphone' plans are the ones that would apply to an unlocked N900, etc.
Ok. But there are seperate plans for the shadow and other phones. The plan for shadow is clearly mentioned as T- mobille shadow unlimited internet. But the other plan just says unlimited internet for mobile phones..
So i believe they are different..... please correct me if i am wrong.