Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
A proposal just filed to the Maemo Brainstorm:

Developers should get karma based on the relevance of their software

Currently the developers receive karma basically based on how many Garage projects are maintaining or involved with. This is actually a not very relevant statistic: one developer might have only one project making happy to 100.000 users (see Mplayer) while other might have opened 14 garage projects for 14 command-line direct ports of Debian that actually nobody uses or could care less about.

This is not easy to address as there are many possibilities to be unfair e.g. several developers in a project with different degree of involvement, apps downloaded by thousands that are "easy" ports of projects developed hardly by someone else. I wouldn't make big fuzz of this karma for developers, but it would be good to take it into account somehow.

Currently it's easier to get plenty of karma blogging about apps, talking about apps and commenting bugs in apps... but at the end are the dvelopers who carry with a lot of the hard work. Let's praise them!

Please rate the solutions proposed in the Maemo Brainstorm, add your own solutions and comment (in the Brainstorm if possible).

Last edited by qgil; 2009-10-23 at 08:20.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ooo, I love contextual rating solutions! Very nice, Quim!

Wouldn't Downloads and comments on apps be good metrics to start with?

EDIT: I'll take that question to the Brainstorm.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The trouble with download metrics is that you have no feedback how many people UN-installed the app Imagine you have an app that has 1.000 downloads and a 4.9 score, and one with 10.000 downloads and a 3.9 score... How would you compare the karma of the two ? Are the extra downloads results of quality and recommendations, or just flashy screenshots and catchy project descriptions ?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'll write here, better no pollution in the Brainstorm page.

@Quim: I don't see an edit button anywhere and I only have Create solution and idea in the drop-down menu. How do I edit my solution?

@Texrat: They're counted, but very slow

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The trouble with download metrics is that you have no feedback how many people UN-installed the app Imagine you have an app that has 1.000 downloads and a 4.9 score, and one with 10.000 downloads and a 3.9 score... How would you compare the karma of the two ? Are the extra downloads results of quality and recommendations, or just flashy screenshots and catchy project descriptions ?
I have solutions to that... but should we move the discussion to the Brainstorm, or would people prefer answering here as well?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Hmmm, so once I ahve enough karma I can vote and run for council, what other reason should I care about Karma?

Why do I care if my Karma is 350 or 3500, or 35000???
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
How do I edit my solution?
For editing, there should be a "notepad with pencil" icon next to your solution. I think.

If you absolutely cannot edit your solution, post what you want it to say here. I can update it. (I think.)

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I will write a Karmasutra app to boost my dev karma :-)

In earnest: it will be extremely difficult to find a solution for that. The maemo dev community is still very small (just subtract all the somehow-Nokia-related devs in garage/downloads and see what remains!) which makes me think that it is currently too early to introduce more granularity / more complex rules into the karma formula.
In fact, each app available in downloads should just get huge karma just for trying and getting there! (and additional points should be given for apps ending up in the maemo extras repository).

Also, the state of many apps in garage is quite "open"...

In addition, how should we count the extremely high differences in application complexity? Examples: Canola vs. some (of my) Desktop Search Plugins vs. (future Maemo 5) WRT widgets.

I'd say: let it rest for another 6 months.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
For editing, there should be a "notepad with pencil" icon next to your solution. I think.

If you absolutely cannot edit your solution, post what you want it to say here. I can update it. (I think.)
No notepad or pencil (or both)

I just want to remove the excessive "Solution #4" in the title.

I confirm Kamen's experience-- I never see that notepad either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
application karma, brainstorm, developers, downloads, karma, karma from applications, maemo.org