Notices

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Is it possible to get an update to fbreader?

I recently bought a Baen Book, Storm from the Shadows by David Weber. I was able to download both in .mobi (formerly .prc, the MobiPocket format) and .epub, the direction that the standard for ebooks seems to be headed.

I downloaded this book to my N810 running what dpkg purports to be version 0.8.17-1, and the epub version gave me a broken table of contents and that was it. So I opened Calibre, an ebook library manager and converter, and converted the mobi I had downloaded to epub and uploaded that to my tablet. This time all I got was the first few pages of Chapter 18.

When I open this book in Calibre's viewer, it is complete, and when I open in FBReader on my Debian Desktop (version 0.10.7dfsg-2), it is also complete.

I was going to get the sources and have a go at packaging it myself, however, the version numbers do not make any sense. As I said, the version on my tablet was 0.8.17, and the one on my desktop is 0.10.7, however, on the home page for FBreader, the latest version is 0.5.21 (released August 28, 2009).

Can we get a newer version of FBreader for Diablo? Especially since one of the bullets for 0.5.17, the previous release states "Better support for files from munseys.com -- both epub and mobi formats." I would even be willing to do the legwork if I could figure out the anomalies in the version numbers and what changes might be being made between the NIT version and the official one.

Thanks,
--vr

an update to fbreader would be great.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I emailed the author, Nikolay Pultsin, the author of FBreader, since, according to the deb, he also maintains the Maemo version.

It looks like the current version of FBreader is 0.10.7 and the current version of FBreaderJ is 0.5.23.

FBreaderJ is a version of FBreader ported to Java for the Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to CVBruce For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
would not surprise me if any kind of diablo version maintenance is halted while its being adapted for fremantle...

The FBReader in the extras repo only has the old 0.8.17 version. If you add the FBReader repo, it will update to the 0.10.7 version.

Hope that helps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post: