Active Topics

Hi,

the competitive is opened

what is your assessment - who will win ???

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/09/ar...ble-tommorrow/

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/09/jk...o-and-podcast/

The Following User Says Thank You to frank.wagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i think to directly compare them is stupid they are totally for different market segments one is a all in one device the other is a pure tablet with no camera or cellular engine.or keyboard
i will reserve other comments for when it is confirmed as at the minute it says leaked specs are unconfirmed all updates after that is little patchy

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-09-16 at 04:18.

Frank your alive!! With that said...

I hope your new thread - brings much controversy. If not - then perhaps back to hibernation for you.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
after looking at it further its a ipod touch on steroids and thats who its competitor will be i think
official specs http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=gb&lang=en

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-09-16 at 04:32.

Hi jandmdickerson,

i look for the right mobile device for me in the near future

current, i have the iPhone 3G - it has too little screen

Archos 5 is according to first reports (internet) faster (30%) and much cheaper as the N900

I do not know Archos - this is the background of the question

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Coruña, ES
Archos' site is updated now, and here are the specs. For me, it's a Internet Tablet competitor, but the N900 is far more than an Internet Tablet. Besides, I go for Maemo rather than Android :P

However, this could be a good device for all the people who missed screen size, and didn't want phone capabilities for the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bulfaiter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
For me, it appears (and I have just now started doing the research on it), as a logical upgrade path for the N8x0 crowd that doesn't have the $700 --or whatever the final price ends up being-- for the N900.

No, its not Nokia, but for the immediate future, the N900 seems to have priced itself out of, at least, my personal market. When the prices come down (probably just before the N910 is announced) I may pick one up, unless I find a really killer deal.

Its not Maemo, which is, IMHO, hands down, the best of breed Tablet and Phone OS available. However, unless I am mistaken, I believe I read that the Archos 5 runs Android, which is running a close second. I don't like the fact that Android seems to be following the App Store model of Apple, but at least it is an open system under the covers.

So I am going to give it a lot of consideration. There is still a lot of life in my N810, and I use it most of my waking hours (mp3 player in the car, book reader, reference library, game station etc etc etc)...But the Archos was the first mp3 player I owned back in the day, and I believe they make a good product. So I will give it a fair shake.

--vr

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
The price isn't what is stopping me from getting an N900, it's just the availability. Now word on the n900 being carried by anyone in Japan yet.

But I do have to say that I looked at the Archos 5 and I am tempted. I am not sure if I want to have my tablet be a phone. I know it goes against the trend but I don't know if I want all of my eggs in one basket as it were. Just my two cents.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Its not Maemo, which is, IMHO, hands down, the best of breed Tablet and Phone OS available. However, unless I am mistaken, I believe I read that the Archos 5 runs Android, which is running a close second. I don't like the fact that Android seems to be following the App Store model of Apple, but at least it is an open system under the covers.
I agree with pretty much all you said: my N810 has plenty of life in it, as well, and I don't need a phone (I have an Android phone, actually), so the N900 does not really appeal to me and I don't see this Archos thing as being anythign I need now either -- that is, as long as my N810 works. But should it break, this $300 / € 300 device would certainly seem to be a more fitting replacement for the N810 than an N900. Also, I'd prefer a Maemo tablet over an Android one at the moment too, but this could change fast...Android seems to be moving ahead at full speed.

Anyway, maybe a bit off-topic but I'm curious about your critique of the "App Store Model". I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, just wondering if you'd care to enlighten me what it is that you object to in that? From an end-user point of view, the only difference between Maemo extras and other repository installs and the Android App Store seems to be that one (the Market) comes in a prettier interface than the other (at least now, perhaps N900 has a nicer interface). Both handle installation of free apps and updates to them. Why is Maemo Extras a good way of handling software installations and Android/Apple marketplaces a bad one? Is it the commercial aspect that you have a problem with?

Originally Posted by Bulfaiter View Post
Archos' site is updated now, and here are the specs. For me, it's a Internet Tablet competitor, but the N900 is far more than an Internet Tablet. Besides, I go for Maemo rather than Android :P

However, this could be a good device for all the people who missed screen size, and didn't want phone capabilities for the N900.

What OS is Archos?