Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I am very aware that this site is driven by a lot of smart OS and some hardware techies, but the N900 is going to usher in a lot of newbies that do not have the same level of "techness".

I suggest a sticky thread for newbies (N900 for Newbies) that has an FAQ and links for apps (I know they are repositories, but still..) and includes:

1. Any settings techies expect newbies will ask
2. FM radio receiver link (this will be asked a lot)
3. Things for newbies to avoid (perhaps first thing in list)
4. Techie addresses to send beer for appreciation for getting newbies out of trouble with N900.
5. Restore process for when newbies get in trouble
6. Game links and FAQ (Doom, Quake etc and emulators will be popular questions).

A key is to be nice to newbies, since you never know who they are or what they may be able to do to help in the future. Communities like this need newbies too..... don't you

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I am very aware that this site is driven by a lot of smart OS and some hardware techies, but the N900 is going to usher in a lot of newbies that do not have the same level of "techness".

I suggest a sticky thread for newbies (N900 for Newbies) that has an FAQ and links for apps (I know they are repositories, but still..) and includes:

1. Any settings techies expect newbies will ask
2. FM radio receiver link (this will be asked a lot)
3. Things for newbies to avoid (perhaps first thing in list)
4. Techie addresses to send beer for appreciation for getting newbies out of trouble with N900.
5. Restore process for when newbies get in trouble
6. Game links and FAQ (Doom, Quake etc and emulators will be popular questions).

A key is to be nice to newbies, since you never know who they are or what they may be able to do to help in the future. Communities like this need newbies too..... don't you
Great idea, I think it will be critical to understand that we had distinctly different users of this site. This is not a bad thing. We just need to ensure that we accommodate both, the functional types (like me) with the technical types.

I think there should be some white-paper like posts that talk about the value of ______ like root, or ssh, or plugins vs apps

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Good points all. The community has not been idle, I think.

There's a sticky thread at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...highlight=user

Also there's http://wiki.maemo.org/New_users which you can always add to/edit to make it include what is sensible.

And there are quite a few threads around and about that come to this from different directions. Which is perhaps indicative of a small problem if there's lots of threads and a non-easy way to find them. Most importantly, the 'New User' link of front page to that wiki page is not up front enough. If it was more visible it would not get in the way of those who know their way around, but it might help a newbie.

Your point about being nice is key, there are sometimes difficulties in the fora on that score. Sometimes it's impatience because 'you should have searched' (which is true but the signal-noise ratio is a little intimidating) and sometimes it's plain ignorance, with all shades inbetween. Can be off-putting. Should be less so.

Another thread suggested the concept of 'greeter' which might not be a bad idea - if a newbie posts something obvious, instead of 'blasting' them, perhaps pushing their post to an assigned greeter might be an option? This person would then help in a kindly fashion and get karma, perhaps... Properly managed (centrally?) this could be done without overloading the greeters, I hope.

Last edited by smarsh; 2009-10-27 at 13:58. Reason: cos I felt like it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Well this might be a bit of an overkill but we have talk.maemo.org, how about faq.maemo.org with less updates ? Might help with the signal to noise ratio too though this might need a fair amount of maintenance?

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I can't remember when I registered, but there might be a way to automatically forward a newly registered person to a specific page (?) which might be the New User page...

I would be happy to volunteer and put time in helping to maintain new user/faq.whatever...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Great ideas, but highlights the navigation issues with the site??
I have been on here for a week or two now, and this was the first I had heard of the noobs thread...
Im glad I know now once my phone comes through, Im sure I will have lots of questions..

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Those things are completely useless, we all know that newbies won't read them in the first place.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
'Greeter' Brainstorm idea: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32835

vote and comment!

smarsh, can you add your 'bounce' idea as a solution?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
As long as the solution considers the N900 is the device that will cause a flood of new people to the community, it should flow logically. I hope

For this site's sake, the delay may really be a blessing in disguise

OK, not really

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Berlin/Germany
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Those things are completely useless, we all know that newbies won't read them in the first place.
that's not true!
the problem is, that the noobs who actually read the faq
don't stand out, so you think all the noobs didn't read it.