Active Topics

Hello

I'm new here, and looking forward to the n900 to replace my eeepc900 and iphone 3G

I haven't found info on the N900 behaviour for call answering:
Does it have a simple button to answer, like the "END" button on this picture?

In that case, does the screen automaticly unlock when receiving a call? If it's like that, that would probably cause unwanted answering when the phone is in the pocket, since the screen is resistive. This really bad problem was present on my HTC diamond, then HTC released a new software version with "silde to answer" fonction:

So, how does it work for N900?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english
Peio

The Following User Says Thank You to peio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Hmm that's actually an interesting idea.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The screenshots I've seen when a call is incoming is like your top picture but with a green button that says Answer instead of End.

That's a good point about what happens when the screen is locked. I don't know what happens at the moment, but I like the slide to answer/ignore idea.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
yes, it does sound very useful if something like it already isnt implemented in the soon to be released module...

if its not, I do hope someone is able to make that type of program/fix for the N900. pretty please with sugar on top

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
There is a proximity sensor on the phone. Probably itīs used to disable the touch feature while in your pocket. Just a guess, though

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
there is a proximity sensor on the phone like conny had said.

and yes, when you receive an incoming call and your phone is locked, it will show the incoming call screen with the answer or reject button.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aSIMULAtor For This Useful Post:
Ok, so we have to wait for more info to see how the proximity sensor is used in that device. I hope it will be as accurate as on the iphone during calls (screen OFF when talking / ON when looking at the screen - works PERFECTLY, I don't know if it's coupled with the light sensor though).
But I wouldn't trust the efficacy of it if it's in a pocket.

How does it work on other nokia resistive screen devices? Are there similar issues?

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
It's used like in the iPhone. Press the green button to answer (note that the screenshot above is in the middle of an already answered call, that's why it's showind End), when talking the proximity sensor detects your face next to it and turns off the screen to save energy.

Not sure if you get a call and the phone is in your pocket tho.
I suppose it'll answer (as regular phones do with regular keys) if you accidentally press on the button...

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
It's used like in the iPhone. Press the green button to answer (note that the screenshot above is in the middle of an already answered call, that's why it's showind End), when talking the proximity sensor detects your face next to it and turns off the screen to save energy.

Not sure if you get a call and the phone is in your pocket tho.
I suppose it'll answer (as regular phones do with regular keys) if you accidentally press on the button...
Save energy? No. That's a side effect. It turns off so you can't accidentally press something while you're talking.

The Following User Says Thank You to kopte3 For This Useful Post:
@anidel
Actually in the iphone, you have "slide to answer" when the phone is locked (it shows a normal button only when you're using the device), even if the capacitive screen already prevents unwanted answering

I just ask about it because the "unwanted answering" was a really serious problem on HTC devices, and people at xda-developpers were trying several solutions to that:
- keep the screen locked when receiving a call (the screen is dimmed so you see who's calling, and you have to first unlock it, then press answer)
- slide to answer

The Following User Says Thank You to peio For This Useful Post: