Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please vote!
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...in_brainstorm/

Currently landing in Brainstorm is pretty bad. First you need to find it or even know it exists. Then the default page (now http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...eas/fremantle/) is anything but simple and self-explanatory for a newcomer. And not even that useful for regular visitors. There is already a proposal for Improving the Brainstorm layout but this one here concentrates on the landing page and the ways to get there.

Let me paste here one of the solutions proposed since it's th creation of a Brainstorm forum and it might be of interest of Talk-only users:

Solution #2: "talk.maemo.org/brainstorm" URL and "Brainstorm" forum in Talk edit solution Delete solution

Posted on 2009-09-26 20:03 UTC by Quim Gil.

The Brainstorm is easier to understand as an extension of Talk. Anybody can start or contribute to a discussion in Talk, but if a feature request or a proposal for improvement gets special interest then it is better to move it to Brainstorm for better processing and influence to those able to implement such proposals.

Therefore the URL should be talk.maemo.org/brainstorm.

And therefore talk.maemo.org should have a forum called Brainstorm (between General and Community?) where all the discussion threads from Brainstorm ideas would be placed. This forum should be moderated in a way that all threads created should correspond to a Brainstorm idea.

talk.maemo.org is a very popular destination. The threads in the Brainstorm forum would be seen by many users that would swim up th the Brainstorm pages of topics they are interested about. There they could leave their votes for posterity. This Brainstorm forum would probably become an important if not the main gateway for people landing in the Brainstorm.

Note that this forum would also be a de facto solution for Watching brainstorm since talk.maemo.org is well equipped with per-forum feeds, email notifications and so on.

This solution assumes that Single Sign-On is implemented across maemo.org (it's coming).

Last edited by qgil; 2009-12-10 at 06:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
The extension to the forum (solution #2) sounds really good - maybe even have it autocreate a topic for each brainstorm idea posted?

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sure, the goal is to make the thread creation and linking automatic when you create a new Brainstorm idea. But since that depends on only on agreements but also technical work, busy people etc I just propose to start doing it manually while the automation comes.

EDITED: actually the idea of the "Brainstorm" forum here in Talk is not mine. Someone posted it somewhere and it fitted as solution for this problem of landing in Brainstorm.

Please please please create the Brainstorm forum. Everybody involved in the discussion agrees that Talk needs to host the Brainstorm discussions and they need to be in a single place. I don't see any reason not to create this Brainstorm forum now, move the existing threads there and start the new ones there with some rules.

Brainstorm
Constructive discussion about proposals filed at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/

located between General and Community.

I also volunteer writing the sticky post with instructions.

Yes, many things need to be synced until the whole integration with http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/ is seamless but it's ok to start with manual work and the lack of a Brainstorm forum is not helping even to bootstrap this integration.

I volunteer as one of the moderators of that forum, helping in making sure that new threads come with a Brainstorm proposal filed at the same time. Also helping thread starters to polish their proposals in order to get their work out of the Sandbox.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I would be willing to help moderate as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I think it's a good idea if the forum is closed to new threads, being populated instead by moving threads from the other fora as they garner enough interest and structure to warrant it, or created automatically from brainstorm entries.

So, would this be in addition to the separate brainstorm paraphernalia, or instead of?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The proposals filed in the Brainstorm tool would be discussed in Talk threads hosted in the Brainstorm forum.

No comments anymore in the Brainstorm tool, only Talk discussion threads.

No threads started in the Brainstorm Talk forum without a corresponding proposal submitted in the Brainstorm tool.

One day these principles would be automatically applied. However, since all this requires technical work the proposal is start *now* with a manual process moderated in order to achieve the same results.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Once the Talk Brainstorm subforum is created, I see the sequence of events as:

1. Member creates Brainstorm proposal (along with any solutions)

2. Member captures link of that proposal and starts a new thread in Talk Brainstorm subforum, pasting that link ito first post along with a synopsis (or perhaps the entire text of the proposal as a quote)

3. Member captures link of new Talk Brainstorm subforum thread, and edits Brainstorm proposal to include it. Cross pollination complete!

We could call the new subforum "Brainstorum" (kidding, kidding)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Brainstorm forum created and moderators (qgil and Texrat) have been added.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
YIPIIIIIII! thanxalot!