Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Markosib View Post
and all at quarter the price! I say "bring it on"!
Offtopic:

Yeah... and look at the dollar and/or euro plummet to the very bottom. Do you really think there's nothing strange about the fact that all these chinese people are building all these tiny devices and toys 12 hours a day, 7 days a week with little to no pay?

I really don't want to get too much political here, but this greed leads to a loss for us all. Goods cost a price. That price is what labour is worth.

Nothing personal... it just bugs me a little when I read such statements.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schimmel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
I take your point and raise you one! China and the Chinese people are very resourceful....they will do this, they will do it well and it will bring them wealth! Without their burgeoning economy its likely we would still be in the economic doldrums here in the West. Their developing economies are absolutely necessary to us and to them! Greed? I don't know. More likely a levelling of the playing field. Would you deny them this?

Perhaps this deserves another thread?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
it will bring them wealth!
no it won't.

very few will get rich, but the vast majority will continue working as slaves.

china currently being the world's economic motor is a bad thing for many reasons. foremost the fact that other countries will slay personal rights and labour rights to match those of china to stay competitive.

i am really very worried that what happens in china right now might be the future fate for the rest of the world as well. it was an important and unique achievement to found the UN convention for human rights, and it would be devastating if that got undermined by economic factors (which basically boils down to greed).

the truth is, many people (especially in the US, but also in spain, the uk etc.) have lived over their means and plummeted into debt. the fact that labour is so cheap in asia, and the fact that china was happily assuming american debt are the only reasons the world economy kept turning. the crash should have happened a lot earlier, and the way it looks now, it's only been postponed once again.
but i fear that when the final point is reached, where nobody will buy any more state debt, we will get chinese circumstances everywhere else, too.

sorry for going offtopic, but this is a very important subject to me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
.. it will bring them wealth! ..
and because this wealth is away from highly debted USA, who will then buy the products? if china produces all the products in the world, where will rest of the world get their cashflow? there has been a hole to get an elephant thru in the way outsourcing has been thought before.

and i'm sorry too for this offtopic.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
let's also not forget about eBay, who has to just make a killing on fees from the thousands of Hong-Kong based "stores" that sell all that crap.

GLAD to be off-topic..... THESE THINGS ARE NEVER COMING!!!!

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
OK new thread........http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...3&goto=newpost.........believe me they are coming!

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Bakersfield, CA
Does anyone know if it is normal for a hold on credit card funds to be removed and reapplied various times? I pre-ordered through Nokia and the hold was placed on the funds of my card and a week later it was gone then it showed up again, and checked today and it is gone. I called nokia but the rep had no idea, he said it should stay there until the phone ships. The last time it reappeared I though It might be shipping but now that its gone it took that thought away quick.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Afaik they are only allowed to reserve the amount for a certain number of days and have to release it after that unless they charge you.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ san jose, california
so.. got this today in my inbox from my pre-order with Expansys:

Dear sir / madam,

The item that you pre-ordered from us on the order reference above
now has an expected delivery date and price. We are expecting stock
to arrive by October 23rd. Please confirm your pre-order so that we
may ship your goods as soon as possible.

The item you ordered is: Nokia N900, Unlocked, UK, QWERTY

Our sale price is: $699.99 USD

Please indicate how you would like your item shipped:

FedEx Ground: $10.95
FedEx 2-Day Express: $17.95
FedEx Next Day Air: $23.95
Canada Express: $25.95

If you no longer require the goods please let us know so that we can
allocate your stock to another customer.

https://www.expansys-usa.com

For your convenience you can now log on to the ‘My Account’ function
and update any of the following:

• View dates/times of when orders are placed
• View status of orders
• View tracking information on shipped orders
• Change payment details
• Change billing address
• Change delivery address

Regards

eXpansys 309-834-0323

OCT 23?!? oh well.

The Following User Says Thank You to m_sparks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
$699 ?!?!?

They call that a sale price ?

Closed Thread

Tags
boost karma here!, collective psychosis, drillee machine, elvis has an n900, fictional hardware, fixed in harmattan, funny tag competition, gimmie-gimmie-gimmie!!!, godot, haiku, is it here yet???, just around the corner, n900 & prejudice, n900 holy war, n900 shipping, no!, peter is so hot, poetry, private investigator, spy satellite, time killer, tweets showcase, urge to kill rising