Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I just ordered 3pcs 1100mAh backup batteries for n900. Now I started thinking ways to have longest possible continous battery life.

Of course driving battery to the limit and wait until device dies and then switching batteries is an option. but why not consult the community about it. hope we come up with different ideas.
  • power over usb to keep device running when switching batteries(experts opinion needed)
  • hardmod one battery with connectors continously plugged in and glue it into cover(probably too extreme but doable)
  • other way to feed power to keep the device alive during battery switch
  • tweaking os for hibernation?!?!

any suggestions?

remember!! also stupid ideas count!!!! there can be a modification that makes a stupid idea brilliant!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I just ordered 3pcs 1100mAh backup batteries for n900. Now I started thinking ways to have longest possible continous battery life.

• power over usb to keep device running when switching batteries(experts opinion needed)
  • hardmod one battery with connectors continously plugged in and glue it into cover(probably too extreme but doable)
  • other way to feed power to keep the device alive during battery switch
  • tweaking os for hibernation?!?!

!
I vote for your second option, except I would glue all three batteries together and wire them in parallel and mount to the back of your N900. Of course, then, you must wire three chargers also in parallel to handle the increased current of three batteries.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
I vote for your second option, except I would glue all three batteries together and wire them in parallel and mount to the back of your N900. Of course, then, you must wire three chargers also in parallel to handle the increased current of three batteries.
that could be solved with a switch. 3 batteries bundled together is so big that one could attach multiple dip/other switches and the size wouldn't chance so much

that could be solved with a switch. 3 batteries bundled together is so big that one could attach multiple dip/other switches and the size wouldn't chance so much
Great idea, except use mini relays instead of the dip switches.

How about building an external power-pack from the two spare batteries, with a USB cable to attach to the device. Of course you are still left with the problem of charging the power-pack. I've used a PowerMonkey with my N800, but I might need to get a new adaptor for the N900 when it arrives.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
OK... Maybe I'm just thinking in the box... but why not just an EXTENDED battery. Or: I have a mini/micro usb charger that's 1700 mah, and I keep it in my bag. OR: I liked the first option. Run the device on USB while switching out the battery and replacing it. That's my fav.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
And don't forget the fork-lift for carrying around your N900 (or pants with very very large pockets) All those batteries will make a non-negligible mass to carry...

(edit: I approve the continuous supply from the USB port)

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
How about building an external power-pack from the two spare batteries, with a USB cable to attach to the device. Of course you are still left with the problem of charging the power-pack. I've used a PowerMonkey with my N800, but I might need to get a new adaptor for the N900 when it arrives.
Remember, he ordered three extra batteries in addition to the battery that come with his N900. If he decides on building up the external power pack that you suggest, I think he should order three more batteries for even more power!

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
i know next to nothing about electricity, but would this be possible: having thin wires connected to the surface where the battery connects to the device - to those wires could a second battery be connected (even if only by holding it together) for the short while the almost dead battery gets removed and a third battery gets inserted. alternatively one could try to slide the second battery in place and then quickly remove the wires.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
remember!! also stupid ideas count!!!! there can be a modification that makes a stupid idea brilliant!
I think I love you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: