Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So android and the iphone have been having a lot of bad news lately, what with the whole cyanogen mess and apples increasingly restrictive policies ("rejected in part because it was the product of a lone
developer.").

We should make a concerted effort to get some of these disgruntled developers over to the maemo world, as many of them are very talented and it would be excellent publicity.

Now would be the time to sell the n900 and maemo to the world as the saviour to their development woes

Just putting that out there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
So android and the iphone have been having a lot of bad news lately, what with the whole cyanogen mess and apples increasingly restrictive policies ("rejected in part because it was the product of a lone
developer.").

We should make a concerted effort to get some of these disgruntled developers over to the maemo world, as many of them are very talented and it would be excellent publicity.

Now would be the time to sell the n900 and maemo to the world as the saviour to their development woes

Just putting that out there.
One of the best things we can do is to try to push Unity3D to port their engine from iPhone over to N900. Almost all the bigger game companies use it for their games allowing them to quickly port for N900.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zerojay
One of the best things we can do is to try to push Unity3D to port their engine from iPhone over to N900. Almost all the bigger game companies use it for their games allowing them to quickly port for N900.
I'm up for taking on this task. How do you suppose we go about doing it, though?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Unity is a commercial company, so they will go where the money is. If they see that the N900/Maemo platform is a big market, and/or if their customers (i.e. the developers that licence their engine) ask for them to support it, I expect they will.

As end-users, I guess we would have to ask developers of our favourite iPhone games if they can port to N900. I'm not sure if it's worth end-users contacting Unity directly, as we aren't their customers.

Last edited by pelago; 2009-09-28 at 20:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
So android and the iphone have been having a lot of bad news lately, what with the whole cyanogen mess
The bad news about Android isn't justified. It is merely Google enforcing its EULA, that one is not allowed to distribute Google's proprietary applications without written consent.

Maemo developers enjoy an environment much more compatible with *NIX/X11 desktops. I'm looking forward to PulseAudio, for example.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
We should make a concerted effort to get some of these disgruntled developers over to the maemo world...
Absolutely!

But first we should make sure that we can gruntle them with Maemo.

This probably sounds like a stupid thing to say, but do we even know absolutely for sure that the final hardware will allow the N900 to be re-flashed with unsigned binaries?

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
There's already a long thread -- "How can we encourage iPhone developers to develop on Maemo?" -- specifically about this. (Well, about getting iPhone developers.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
developer.").
Don't forget Palm
http://jwz.livejournal.com/1096401.html

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@overfloat: I think Palm is in somewhat a similar boat as us here (relatively speaking, compared to iphone and android). They have less than 100 apps in their appstore the last time I checked, and the native SDK was released just a few months ago. Wait, no, they're even behind us

Yeah but....:
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
http://jwz.livejournal.com/1096401.html

The Following User Says Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, cyanogen, disgruntled developers, google is not evil, google v. good war, iphone, maemo, piracy