Hey guys, I have a quick question.

Do we know if the N900 will be able to support and take advantage of T-Mobile USA (or any other) UMA functionalities for network calls over Wi-Fi??

Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

Do we know if the N900 will be able to support and take advantage of T-Mobile USA (or any other) UMA functionalities for network calls over Wi-Fi??
I think this question keeps coming up. And I think the answer seems to keep being "unknow, but very unlikely", it would be nice though. However, you can do the same with Skype or with a SIP account.

Yes but UMA is extremely useful in places with no network coverage...

Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
Yes but UMA is extremely useful in places with no network coverage...

You mean like at home were you have Wifi? Or were else would it work?

Here is an example.
My friend is on T-Mobile USA. Hes does not have coverage issues, however inside his home (probably due to the construction stone) the GSM signal is very-very weak. His office is located at the basement of that same house. There he has no signal at all meanwhile he spends a lot of hours in this office.

He is now using a UMA ebable phone. So now when he is on home his is getting T-Mobile coverage over his own WiFi network. This means he is getting full network signal over wifi even in his basement that the actual network has no bars at all. All network calls and SMS are routing from Wifi using UMA.

Okay, if you have wifi then you have Skype and SIP avaialbe or googlevoice. UMA may be more convenient for you, but as far as I know it is for carrier provided devices that are paired with the carriers router. In sum, I am not for sure, but I doubt it. Look at Skype at home if you have wifi....

Thanks for the answers guys, but I am not looking for Internet over Wifi (meanwhile VoIP, Skype etc.)

I am talking about pure UMA support in order to route Network calls over Wifi.

I guess there still no clear answer on that.. I will wait for something more specific.

The Following User Says Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Have a look at the manual to see if it support UMA (or GAN)

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...-US_es-LAM.pdf

Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
Have a look at the manual to see if it support UMA (or GAN)

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...-US_es-LAM.pdf
Yeap I search for it yesterday when I had a look at the manual.
No sigh of it in there..

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
It does not look like there is UMA for the N900, it would be an ideal device for something like that. Hopefully Google Voice can do number porting soon, they said they would do it later this year. If so you could emulate UMA to an extent. You wouldn't be able to do tower to wifi hand off though.