OK. Honestly what smartphones/MID with phone's actually can compete with the N900. I keep looking and while some are better in some area's such as the CPU are lacking in other's. Love the Iphone but we all know it's shortcomings. Win mobile phones, and Android have phones with a great CPU but lack memory and still not sure about internal memory. What has driven me crazy about win mobile is the browser. I've got an Xperia X1 but hate the browser, opera mini doesn't cut it for me. So I'm putting this out there. What is our real competition (I've read the post about some phone from Samsung in 2010 or 2011 doesn't count)?

Last edited by mhotep; 2009-10-09 at 03:00.

N900 is a whole different world. You cannot compare an orange with and apple.

Well you could depending on how you phrase the question and what do you include. (smartphone? computers? etc..)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

When we want to talk about "the best" we must talk about about what is the points that we Stand on it & what is the definition of "the best" in our mind .

Maybe someone thinks that the best smartphone is the phone with the best camera , someone else thinks that the best phone is which have a good OS .

So , is the best phone the perfect one ? of course not cause there isn't a perfect phone . the best phone is the nearest phone to the perfect .

Last edited by abu9al7; 2009-10-09 at 04:37.

IMO, the closest competition will be the products that have similar hardware. For example, iphone, palm pre, idou/satio, i8910 OmniaHD...
But this is competition from the phone market...the N900's main competition are probably UMPCs

True but you also have to take into account the operating system/software. For example, the iPhone can't multi-task without hacks.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I can tell you that i'm still tempted to get the HTC Touch Pro2. The OS, CPU, and camera are the only things i like better in the N900. The TP2 is definitely a competitor in most peoples' book. It has a better or equivalent screen, much better keyboard, generally better software complement (fully compatible MS office format editing--still not that familiar with the included apps on Maemo so the jury's still out), better deal (since i would get a contract anyway), better coverage (available on Verizon)...

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-10-09 at 04:57.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I can tell you that i'm still tempted to get the HTC Touch Pro2. The OS, CPU, and camera are the only things i like better in the N900. The TP2 is definitely a competitor in most peoples' book. It has a better or equivalent screen, much better keyboard, generally better software complement (fully compatible MS office format editing--still not that familiar with the included apps on Maemo so the jury's still out), better deal (since i would get a contract anyway), better coverage (available on Verizon)...
yes I agree completely, the only real reason I want a n900 really is because no other manufacturer really puts beefy processors in their devices all android phones have the same processor currently and I don't really want an iphone. Essentially this leaves the N900. The palm pre would be nice but no GSM in that either... so unless a android phone gets say... the 1ghz snapdragon processor a nice screen and good camera all in one the only real alternative this year in the US is the N900. Essentially my dream is an HTC HD2 with android. OMG i would seriously buy one right now!!

Originally Posted by shaun132 View Post
yes I agree completely, the only real reason I want a n900 really is because no other manufacturer really puts beefy processors in their devices all android phones have the same processor currently and I don't really want an iphone. Essentially this leaves the N900. The palm pre would be nice but no GSM in that either... so unless a android phone gets say... the 1ghz snapdragon processor a nice screen and good camera all in one the only real alternative this year in the US is the N900. Essentially my dream is an HTC HD2 with android. OMG i would seriously buy one right now!!
The xperia X3 (codename: rachael), though probably released in in mid-late 2010 is probably what you're looking for....1ghz snapdragon on android. Prob cost a grand too

see thats too long from now for me... this is good for nokia they can still capture a lot of people who want a smartphone with the potential for apps but want it to be fast and high powered before mid-october when android and windows mobile start beefing up their phones. Man I wish nokia the best but they really need carrier support to get the ball rolling especially in the US, also it wouldn't hurt them to possibly come out with maemo on other devices.