Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi everybody!
Few time ago I started a topic that impressed a lot of users for its contents.
I asked infos about running Win Mo on N810.
Well, I bought my n810 last year in Canada; unfortunely I didn't know that here in my fu**ed country (Italy) it will be unusefull because of the very low number of free hotspots wifi.
Anyway, still now I wasn't able to run a gps navigator; unable to feel a good gaming experience; impossible to find a graphic editor because I'm a graphic designer.
Maemo is unuseful for a simple user looking for good multimedia experience; looking for infos on the web about running this or that app, you must have at least a IT master degree.

Speak to me as simple you can: n810 has ARM processor, a lot of Win Mo devices use ARM processors, I-Phone has a ARM processor: why can't I use on my n810 WIN MO or I-Phone OS as main OS?

Please answer me or I'll never use again my N810 and I'll buy an I-Phone.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
juriaboni, of course you can run Winmo and iphone OS on the n810 hardware.

First get the source for these operating systems
set compiler switches or tweak code
compile.

I'll leave it for you to decide which step will be most difficult.

Last edited by lcuk; 2009-10-16 at 19:41. Reason: wineme->winmo

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by juriaboni View Post
Hi everybody!
Well, I bought my n810 last year in Canada; unfortunely I didn't know that here in my fu**ed country (Italy) it will be unusefull because of the very low number of free hotspots wifi.
Anyway, still now I wasn't able to run a gps navigator; unable to feel a good gaming experience; impossible to find a graphic editor because I'm a graphic designer.
Maemo is unuseful for a simple user looking for good multimedia experience; looking for infos on the web about running this or that app, you must have at least a IT master degree.

Speak to me as simple you can: n810 has ARM processor, a lot of Win Mo devices use ARM processors, I-Phone has a ARM processor: why can't I use on my n810 WIN MO or I-Phone OS as main OS?

Because there are a lot more differences than just what processor the devices use.

If you think that telling us you're going to go and buy yourself a set of handcuffs is some sort of threat to us... lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Icuk: "Speak to me as simple you can"

Juria, that operating system is not available for the N8*0 because Microsoft doesn't want it, plain and simple. Nokia doesn't have the rights and software code to install it on these devices (and even if they had these, maybe they wouldn't want it!). And differently from Maemo OS which is open source, Windows Mobile is closed source, which means that the source code of the operating system is not available to be put on whatever device you want (with the needed adaptations/hacks).

If I said anything wrong, please correct me.

(Ps. parlo pure italiano se serve, ma non mi pare tu abbia problemi con l'inglese ^^)

Hi everybody!

This one is easy, RDesktop or VNC is your friend.
N810 makes great input device for MSPaint.

Mike C

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
To try and respond to your needs rather than to scoff at non-Maemo OSs, while you can't run WinMo on the N810 there are people who have installed a version of Android on the N810. By all accounts, while there are aspects of it that the Maemo community despises, it is more user friendly for in the inexperienced non-Linux person.

Here are some discussions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26342
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25410
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25736

I haven't tried this so I don't know how easy it is. Good luck.

I should note that in a later post significant problems were pointed out with these apps. As I said, I have never tried them. At this point it doesn't sound as if they would be useful to you.

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-10-17 at 23:01. Reason: added warning

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Juria,

regarding the lack of wifi hotspots in Italy:
you can easily tether your N810 to your 3g Cell phone and have data anywhere, using your cell phone as a modem.

I do this with my N800 and it works wonderfully. When there are no known wifi networks in range, the N800 automatically connects to my phone. Always connected!

--Anch'io sono Italiano, se hai bisogno di spiegazioni/traduzioni riguardante le risposte in questo thread, mandami un messaggio. Non sono un esperto di linux, ma non mi spiace aiutarti come posso.
-Davide

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Personally, I would love to see someone running WinMo on an iPhone. That would be surreal! If you manage to do that, I'll send you a PayPal payment to cover the cost of your iPhone purchase. (Proof required, and must be fully functional.)

I cannot imagine a more incongruent juxtaposition than WinMo on an iPhone, while at the same time I see it as the perfect symbolization of what Maemo is not.

I can imagine an advertisement featuring the WinMo iPhone on one side and the Maemo N900 on the other. With just two images, it sums up something powerful... just not sure exactly what

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-10-16 at 22:08.

Hi everybody!
I won't answer you so that I can buy your (barely) used N810 when you buy your fantastic and much better IPhone.

The Following User Says Thank You to luis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Geez, you guys are making it hard for me to defend the user-friendliness of this forum.

This is how it's done:

Hi everybody!
Go on.....

At least you have meatballs and beautiful women...

For GPS, you can use the pre-installed map application with (pay :-/) Wayfinder or the Maemo-Mapper program (which I use and love).

For gaming, there is a plethora of emulators, as well as the games made for Maemo. Have you tried Drnoksnes SNES emulator? It's quite nice. Also, apparently you can use a Wii-mote.

As far as graphics editors goes, I'm not sure, but have you seen the N8*0 Art Thread? They're using something good over there, there's GREAT examples of designs made on tablets.

I have an associate's degree from community college, and I'm doing okay.

Because Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are evil, evil men.

Well, threats aren't the best way to go, but hopefully some of the info I've provided above will help you out, at least a little.

</good deed for the day>

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-10-17 at 00:30.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post: