Active Topics

Notices

Hello,

Newly regesterd person here!

So, I made op my mind; I'm going to get the n900!
As for the future of this phone, I wondered if the n900 could handle the best RPG's ever made: Fallout(1,2), Arcanum and Planescape-Torment. I know there is something in beta for baldure's gate serie so thats a start.

So my question is what do you guys think? Will the n900 be able to run these games? won't maemo cause any problems here?

Let me hear you thoughts

Tnx

best regards
Oracle

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Are these games open source? If not, game over. If so, how about becoming a Maemo rock star and porting them yourself?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
So my question is what do you guys think? Will the n900 be able to run these games? won't maemo cause any problems here?
It is not possible.

Fallout 1 and 2 are closed source (the others probably too, didn't check). There has been a project to create an open source Fallout engine, but even that was stopped by licensing issues of the SPECIAL system.

The only way to run FO1 (maybe 2 too) is Dosbox, but it will be unplayably slow.

Thanks for the replies.

FO1 via dosbox will be slow indeed. There was one video where they got FO running via dosbox on the psp. Guess it won't work any better on the n900.

too bad..

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, Baldur's gate was working almost acceptably on N800, so probably will be better on N900 if someone compiles and adapts GemRB for it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icyAgs3dFqU

The aim of GemRB is to support all games supported by the Bioware engine, which includes the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series plus Planescape Torment. Many addons should work too.

At least that's the official statement

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-10-17 at 18:08.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
GemRB looks very promising! however I get the feeling that is pretty much dead..

maybe with the release of the n900, people might pick it up again..

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Changelog
V0.5.1 (2009-08-27)
Doesn't look very dead to me...

i would LOVE to see Infinity Engine games work on the n900.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Doesn't look very dead to me...
Ahh thanks! looking forward to see some GEMRB action on the N900.

Maybe FIVE could be something to look into? It's open source isometric rpg engine. It does not let you play fallout games at the moment (if ever -who knows ) ..but at least there is already built in support for fallout data; animations, graphics, maps etc. There are a few projects on development which are using this engine.

It's cross platform, uses oggvorbis for sound and uses SDL or OpenGL backend for rendering.

Build dependencies

Screen1
Screen2
Screen3
Screen4

Last edited by amoult; 2009-10-21 at 17:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to amoult For This Useful Post: