Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So I was reading the UI guidelines here on maemo.org and it says you shouldnt use a GTK toolbar unless only one content item is visible (such as an edit screen).

If an app has multiple windows, as most do, where are we supposed to put our window icons/buttons?

For example - let's take the ipod music app on the iphone/touch. Along the bottom it has 5 icons, Playlists, Artists, Songs, Albums and [... More], with each bringing up a slightly different interface for different things - but the toolbar stays.

If you were to require a similar window changing functionality, what are the UI guidelines that apply?

How does one allow the user to always be able to select from a set of windows (a maemo example would be when you wish to provide the user with a view windows, categories, tags, search, settings, etc).

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Surely that should be "...shouldn't use a gtk toolbar if only one content item is visible" ?

ie. the doc you're reading is wrong...typo....

For reference, here's what it says

Originally Posted by UI Guidelines
Use the widget GtkToolbar as you would use it in a GTK+ application, but consider the following:

* Use GtkToolbars when only one content item is visible (for example when editing a single image or editing a single email).
* Provide no menu commands or settings for hiding or showing toolbar. The toolbar is always shown in the view where you decided to put it.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
The key point here is you should not be using a *Gtk*Toolbar. HildonToolbars, on the other hand, are nice and finger friendly, appear on the bottom, and are used by some stock applications (in Maemo 5 as well as 4).

Eurgh, I'm high, sorry. There is no such thing as a HildonToolbar, but you add a GtkToolbar to the window. Sorry. But my point still stands: Some stock applications still use them.

Although, on the other hand, HildonAppMenus can also be a good substitute if you need space (and are seperate to each window, even StackableWindows [but you can make them all have the same menu...]):

The HildonButton widget used for the first two buttons supports (as you can see) two labels, but you are also free to add an image onto it as well, a little like a toolbar.

(I was using an older firmware there, but newer ones place a little blue arrow going down in the titlebar to tell you that there is a menu)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-10-17 at 08:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Ah! Yes. This is exactly what I needed to know - thank you! I totally forgot about that menu area..

What I haven't figured out how to do yet is to make this style of clickable list.. What hildon/gtk widget is this? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
Ah! Yes. This is exactly what I needed to know - thank you! I totally forgot about that menu area..

What I haven't figured out how to do yet is to make this style of clickable list.. What hildon/gtk widget is this? Anyone know?

Thanks!
I'd say it's a GtkTreeview with two columns: one with pixbufs and the other with text.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
I will test this tonight. It would be really great if we had a resource somewhere which identified what each of these interface elements are, for those like me who are just getting started.

If there is interest in a wiki document I don't mind heading that up, but I don't have the knowledge to make it useful..

Tags
design, maemo, user interface