Active Topics

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Does anybody have some low-level hardware specs about how symbian boots, elf2flash utility used to create flash files for Nokia S60 firmware upgrades, Nokia 5800 / N97 low-level hardware manuals ?

I'd like to try my hand at porting maemo 4 to the 5800/N97 since the hardware specifications of these devices seem to be very close to N800 hardware. My general approach is to modify firmware upgrade files used for 5800 to make it boot a linux kernel and use the userland unmodified from N800 since they should binary compatible.

If you have any other suggestions or thoughts, I'd really like to hear them.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
Does anybody have some low-level hardware specs about how symbian boots, elf2flash utility used to create flash files for Nokia S60 firmware upgrades, Nokia 5800 / N97 low-level hardware manuals ?

I'd like to try my hand at porting maemo 4 to the 5800/N97 since the hardware specifications of these devices seem to be very close to N800 hardware. My general approach is to modify firmware upgrade files used for 5800 to make it boot a linux kernel and use the userland unmodified from N800 since they should binary compatible.

Wow, that's a lot to take on in one shot. I would start from Mer and try to port that. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
I can't help you in this, but did you consider the screen resolution/drivers/others before going into the next step?

Also, search for "siemens sx1". As far as I know it is the only Symbian device (s60v1) that was possible to load linux with (The bootloader called uboot , I don't think the source was ever released but this was long time ago, not sure now)

You might want to check this http://forum.oslik.ru/

Good luck
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

The Following User Says Thank You to f(x) For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Start with getting a linux kernel working, console showing on screen and then SD card access and touchscreen input.. then you might have something.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Wow, that's a lot to take on in one shot. I would start from Mer and try to port that. Good luck.
I think the real hurdle is to get a Linux kernel working on the bare hardware - after this we can push Mer, Maemo, even Android as userland.

A second worthwhile consideration is to boot the Linux kernel as a Symbian process, using something like user-mode linux, with drivers that talk underneath to Symbian. Than one could run needed Maemo binaries in this Linux user process, or start Android to run Android application on S60.

Currently I'm still trying to compile the Linux kernel without drivers in OpenC under S60 5th SDK.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
A second worthwhile consideration is to boot the Linux kernel as a Symbian process, using something like user-mode linux, with drivers that talk underneath to Symbian.
User-mode linux is just a userland process. There are no drivers in it to talk with the host hardware. Not to mention that it's *very* slow (like 10% of the native speed, or so)

Hi ddalex,

Could you please keep us updated on your progress, I'm really interested by the results, it could open up a lot of new option to various Symbian Phones

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Northern NJ
The Omnia HD processor, the cortex A8 arm does support the linux kernel, so you could load it onto there.

http://www.arm.com/products/os/linux_download.html

Also, symbian's source code is now public:

http://www.osnews.com/story/22387/Sy...el_Source_Code

How is it going?

I’ll keep track on this thread because 5800 is still my phone. I don’t want to damage it. It’s an amazing phone.