Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Am I crazy, or is this somehow possible? Would be VERY cool to use my phone as a pen tablet as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
what are the chances of closed source photoshop being ported to maemo without any legal argument?
may be some other software similar to photoshop but i do not see photoshop itself being on N900.
Just my thought.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Am I crazy, or is this somehow possible? Would be VERY cool to use my phone as a pen tablet as well.
You can run remote desktop and it'd be just like a tablet. No pressure sensitivity, mind.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

The Following User Says Thank You to dormant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I think he's thinking about using the N900 as an input device.
As crazy as it may sound, that could be possible with either usbip [1] (if the touchscreen is an usb device) or a cuse [2] hack

With usbip you'd just "export" the usb device over network, and with cuse you'd just catch the input events on the tablet and transfer them over network.
So, you'd need to:
a) using cuse:
* Catch the input events from the tablet/phone
* transfer them over network to a linux host
* on the linux host run a cuse-backed driver that would catch the input events and present them as a normal input device.
b) using usbip:
* export the device using usbip over network (that'd render the touchscreen unusable for the phone, until a reboot.
c) have drivers for the touchscreen. With cuse only X11 drivers would be needed, with usbip both linux and X11
d) run photoshop under wine on the linux computer (not the phone!), as cuse is not available for windows at all and usbip is highly experimental

[1] http://usbip.sourceforge.net/
[2] A framework for creating and managing character devices from userspace, present in new kernels. Couldn't find a proper link for that.

Last edited by arachnist; 2009-10-22 at 01:08.

Yea I don't want to port photoshop, I want to use the n900 as a tablet, as per what I wrote lol.

BlueMaemo, VNC and x11forwarding (GIMP only)

EDIT: And online there is sumopaint.com

EDIT2:
http://www.box.net/os2008/1/38267058/393255086

Just wish there was a hack for universal full-screen mode for x11forwarded programs... "hey qwerty12 wanna..."

A little explanation is warranted on that screenshot - I installed Photoshop Elements on my laptop in Windows, copied the install into ~.wine and copied the Adobe reg keys from Windows into WINE's reg. Thus Photoshop running in x86 Linux via WINE. Then used x11forwarding which allows an X (GUI) linux program to run remotely (different from VNC), in this case on my N810. Thus able to use Photoshop on tablet (with a laptop in between), pen input without VNC-delay. Though it does run kinda slow UNLESS you change N810's CPU to performance mode.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2010-09-09 at 15:57.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
My idea was using BlueMaemo to control the mouse cursor via the accelerometer and do a sort of "painting with marbles" thing in Photoshop. Actually, I was trying to do this tonight and couldn't get my N900 to connect to my MacBook via BlueMaemo. Arg. Will keep trying.

Tim

What about n900 > PC is that possible? Please... lol

I've tried this idea with the n810 and bluemaemo, but it seems to not work as well as I would hope, since the right mouse button is not constantly 'clicked'/held down when you try to draw/write on the screen (I actually tried to use it with Vista's handwriting feature). If you do use the button to click and hold the right mouse button, you can't just lift your stylus and write/draw somewhere else. You have to click the button again and click the button once more for when you want to resume writing/drawing somewhere else. This makes it a very unnatural experience and therefore defeats the purpose of using the n810/n900 as a stylus on a touch screen. For anyone that has tried this, is there something I am missing?