Active Topics

Notices

Nokia Experts has a video review of N900 email here:

http://nokiaexperts.com/nokia-n900-v...ettings-games/

He uses the mail application and it polls all of his mailboxes every 15 minutes. Yuck.

I thought the N900 supported push email via Nokia Messaging. Can anyone with a N900 comment on that?

The Following User Says Thank You to mistermix For This Useful Post:
Yep it does, Nokia messaging or Mail for Exchange are available. A lot of people choose to go with interval polling cause they don't like to be ping pinged all day long.

Mike C

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Kraków,Poland
But interval polling uses more,more kilobytes than push and you have your new messages right now. I don't understand some people...

If you can use IMAP IDLE then you have push email in practice, as long as you're not after a push-system with notification through a separate channel.
With IDLE there's very little traffic. It's ideal when you receive mail only now and then. Keeping a 3G connection up all the time won't kill your data budget. However, if you get mail all the time it's understandable that some will then prefer to get them in chunks, i.e. going for poll instead.

Point is, nothing fancy is needed.. use an IMAP server with IDLE support (e.q. courier), get a client with IDLE support (e.g. Thunderbird .. oops.. we don't seem to have any Maemo mail clients with IDLE support yet. )

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
we don't seem to have any Maemo mail clients with IDLE support yet. )
See https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3888 for tracking this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the responses, but has anyone actually used Nokia Messaging and push on a N900. I realize that the docs say that it's supported, but I haven't seen a review showing that.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Kraków,Poland
Look at this. Works like a charm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnHzkqNVbY

The Following User Says Thank You to pczerwinski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Nokia Messaging is a 'glue' between your e-mail server and your device. This 'glue' runs on top of Ovi (Nokia). You provide this service e.g. your IMAP username/password, and Nokia Messaging will 'push' the e-mail to your device even if your e-mail server officially doesn't support 'push' e-mail. I don't know whether the connection between Nokia Messaging and Ovi is encrypted though.

I use IMAPS on my E71 with the native client (not Nokia Messaging) and I receive almost immediately new e-mail, and have configured this to be used only on 'my own network' which I assume means only when I am not roaming. I also would say that not every e-mail box needs 'push'. It isn't meant for every person or every purpose. But since you ask for it here, you probably have a need for it.

Also see other threads such as Email app like Thunderbird.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: