Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
BrentDC's Avatar
Posts: 903 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Apr 2008
#1
TouchSearch is a “Desktop Widget” that runs directly on the home screen of your device and acts as a quick way to search many of the websites you use everyday. It features a sleek and simple interface that will allow you to search the web with ease.


Some built-in “search engines” (websites that you can search) are: Google web results, Amazon, Ebay auction listings, Dictionary.com, YouTube and more. TouchSearch also supports the installation of additional search engines, so you may add to TouchSearch any of the search engines located on the TouchSearch.org Addons page.


Some of the main features of TouchSearch are:
  • Quick-access to searching your favorites sites
  • Simple and clean interface
  • Customizable look
  • Support for searching sites in all supported languages
  • Free!
You can download TouchSearch from maemo.org's download page, here.
__________________
-Brent

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2011-01-14 at 21:57.
 

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
BrentDC's Avatar
Posts: 903 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Apr 2008
#2
Here are a few screenshots of TouchSearch in action:





__________________
-Brent

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900
 

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,802 | Thanked: 4,487 times | Joined on Nov 2007
#3
Screenshots look good, but... it doesn't appear in the "Add widget" dialog's list here :-(
 

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
BrentDC's Avatar
Posts: 903 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Apr 2008
#4
Maybe try rebooting? This was a problem with previous python-hildondesktop versions, but since I specified a specific version, that shouldn't be the problem.

Let me know if doesn't show up after a reboot. Thanks.
__________________
-Brent

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900
 

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,802 | Thanked: 4,487 times | Joined on Nov 2007
#5
Yes, a reboot fixed it :-)
 
BrentDC's Avatar
Posts: 903 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Apr 2008
#6
I do have a question for those using it on a real device: is the widget finger-friendly enough? Specifically, the two buttons that sit on the desktop. They are 48x48 and am wondering whether I should use 64x64 instead. It is kind of hard to tell actual sizes on scratchbox. Thanks.
__________________
-Brent

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900
 
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
#7
Thanks Brent! It installed without any problem and showed up on the desktop. Enhancement requests:
  • The size of the buttons works well. Don't make it larger.
  • In the "Type A Search Query" dialogue, could you add a keyevent for ENTER to immediately start the search?
  • In the same dialogue, let the user touch the searchengine logo to change the search engine used in another way?
  • The button is very dark, what about a thin semi-transparent frame around it like other widgets have?
  • The right button is incomprehensible. What does it represent? Using a pulldown/choose button as seen in other apps.
  • In "Select A Site To Search", mark the current searchengine when opening the dialogue - otherwise cancelling it will change the search to Google.
  • Compared to Nokias search widget in OS2008: Is there some kind of config file available to modify? How can we add our own searches? Could GConf help?
Anyway - I like the widget very much. It looks really good and works well :-) Thanks again!
__________________
-Tom (N900, N810, N800)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Last edited by twaelti; 2009-10-25 at 17:02.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
BrentDC's Avatar
Posts: 903 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Apr 2008
#8
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Thanks Brent! It installed without any problem and showed up on the desktop. Enhancement requests:
  • The size of the buttons works well. Don't make it larger.
  • In the "Type A Search Query" dialogue, could you add a keyevent for ENTER to immediately start the search?
  • In the same dialogue, let the user touch the searchengine logo to change the search engine used in another way?
  • The button is very dark, what about a thin semi-transparent frame around it like other widgets have?
  • The right button is incomprehensible. What does it represent? Using a pulldown/choose button as seen in other apps.
  • In "Select A Site To Search", mark the current searchengine when opening the dialogue - otherwise cancelling it will change the search to Google.
  • Compared to Nokias search widget in OS2008: Is there some kind of config file available to modify? How can we add our own searches? Could GConf help?
Anyway - I like the widget very much. It looks really good and works well :-) Thanks again!
  • Good
  • Could you file a bug on this (bugs.maemo.org > TouchSearch)? That is a serious one. Thanks.
  • Someone else suggested that; it shouldn't be to difficult to implement.
  • The RSS widget in Scratchbox looks very dark, so I figured that was the UI style. Semi-transparent would require me to mess with Cairo (?), and frankly, that's been my house of horrors.
  • Could you link to something like that, or if it's a stock item just tell me the name? Thanks.
  • I'll look into that. The "close-auto-selects-google" is a bug. It has to do with the (kludge) I'm using to call the hildon.PickerDialog.
  • I plan on adding many more searches to the applet in future versions -- but would also like to implement a way for users to add their own.


Thanks for all the comments! Oh, also: could you add a thumbs up to the package page (link)? I'm trying to get this pushed to Extras. Thanks!
__________________
-Brent

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900
 
Posts: 2,802 | Thanked: 4,487 times | Joined on Nov 2007
#9
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I do have a question for those using it on a real device: is the widget finger-friendly enough?
Yes, the size of the buttons is absolutely fine.
 
Posts: 755 | Thanked: 406 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ UK
#10
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
  • I plan on adding many more searches to the applet in future versions -- but would also like to implement a way for users to add their own.
I second this - we could always go and play with the .py, but a nice configurable way of doing it would be fantastic
 
Reply

Tags
desktop widget, python, search, touchsearch

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:34.