Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I need to start thinking about replacement batteries for my N810. I'm torn, so I need to ask people who have bought Mugen batteries.

I like the thought of the 3600maH battery's life, but the downside being a larger footprint. I generally stick the device in my front shirt pocket or my front pants pocket, depending on how I am dressed. However, this battery will give me about 240% lifespan over the default 1500maH batteery.

If I want to keep the same footprint, I can also get the 1800maH battery, but that only gives me an extra 20% lifespan over the standard battery.

I'd like to hear from people who bought them, how these batteries worked out for them. Is the extra battery life worth the extra heft and bulk of the 3600maH battery? Does the new back plate interfere with the stand?

Thanks,
--vr

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I bought the 1800maH battery for my N810. The battery connection points didn't come out as far as those of the Nokia battery and at 1st it wouldn't work. Based on another post in this forum I used a business card as a shim to push the battery closer to the contacts. This did work. Mugen did say something about changing the design of their battery ton move the contact points out as far as those on the Nokia battery. You might try to query them on this. The battery indicator on the N810 still reads 10days & 7hrs on a full charged battery but the battery does seem to last a bit longer than the Nokia one did.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Hi Fragos,

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I bought the 1800maH battery for my N810. The battery connection points didn't come out as far as those of the Nokia battery and at 1st it wouldn't work. Based on another post in this forum I used a business card as a shim to push the battery closer to the contacts. This did work. Mugen did say something about changing the design of their battery ton move the contact points out as far as those on the Nokia battery. You might try to query them on this.
I had to shim my Nokia battery, just to get rid of the rattle and make it feel more solid. If I have to use a shim, so be it.

The battery indicator on the N810 still reads 10days & 7hrs on a full charged battery but the battery does seem to last a bit longer than the Nokia one did.
May I ask why you went with the 1800 maH one instead of the 3600?

I'm getting to the point that I need to do something. I have two batteries, and neither is lasting as long as they were, or I am using my device more. A typical usage pattern is to pull it off of the charger in the morning, and it will sit in screen lock for up to 30 minutes. In the car, I use MediaBox for about 45 minutes, listening to podcasts. Get on the train, watch movies or play Angband for about 1:15, then suspend for about 30 minutes for the Metro trip and walk to the office and the morning settling in. At this point I have 2 bars of battery remaining. If I don't charge it, I will be down to 1 bar within 1-2 hrs...I plug it in during the course of the day, and try to get a full charge by the time its time to go home, using it occasionally to read something in FBreader or whatever...Which is why I am trying to decide between a little more capacity or overkill at the cost of added bulk.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I chose the 1800 maH because of the size and the fact the battery more than covers one day of use for me. I charge every knight. If I ran out of battery during the day I would have purchased the 3600.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I bought 3600 mAh and I like it although not the cover (plastic). I used it together with the SD mod from craves1 and this worked well.

When you bought N810 were you content with the battery life? If yes, then 1800 mAh (verus 1500 mAh of stock battery) will be OK, and you can use your current battery as reserve.

If you weren't happy with battery life then 3600 mAh would do it.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
How much usage time do you get out of the 3600 mah battery?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I bought 3600 mAh and I like it although not the cover (plastic). I used it together with the SD mod from craves1 and this worked well.

When you bought N810 were you content with the battery life? If yes, then 1800 mAh (verus 1500 mAh of stock battery) will be OK, and you can use your current battery as reserve.

If you weren't happy with battery life then 3600 mAh would do it.
I was. But I wonder now, since I have changed jobs and my commute is about twice what it was, whether my usage model has changed. I think what I am going to do is to get the 1800maH, and if it doesn't work, then go for the 3600maH and use the 1800 as a reserve.

Thanks to all of the respondents.

Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
I was. But I wonder now, since I have changed jobs and my commute is about twice what it was, whether my usage model has changed. I think what I am going to do is to get the 1800maH, and if it doesn't work, then go for the 3600maH and use the 1800 as a reserve.

Thanks to all of the respondents.
i've read in other threads that the quality of the mugen battery is iffy compared to the nokia battery and the a.h. numbers optimistic. i hope you have better luck with it!

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
i've read in other threads that the quality of the mugen battery is iffy compared to the nokia battery and the a.h. numbers optimistic. i hope you have better luck with it!
You just love complicating my life, Wes...

Guess I need to re-read the threads. How "iffy" are we talking? Are we talking about 1800MAh batts that are, say, 1600, or are we talking 900? Thats another point in favor of the 3600MAh...But I haven't heard very good reviews of the replacement back plate.

Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
You just love complicating my life, Wes...

Guess I need to re-read the threads. How "iffy" are we talking? Are we talking about 1800MAh batts that are, say, 1600, or are we talking 900? Thats another point in favor of the 3600MAh...But I haven't heard very good reviews of the replacement back plate.
read about it. batteries are always something of a crapshoot anyway and $40+ for a nokia is steep.

Tags
battery, hi capacity, mugen